Muzzle Break

dumbear

I would like input on muzzle breaks and references to competant installers.I have a 358 Win. that I think I would like to have a muzzle break inst. Most important is to keep muzzle rise/jump to minimum.

I had Jim See at Center Shot Rifles install a CSR Break on my 7mm SAUM and I love it. The rifle weighs about 12 lbs and recoils like a .223. He also makes a "Muscle Break" for bigger cartridges, I would expect you would get a very noticeable reduction in recoil and muzzle jump. I can easily spot my impacts at 300 yds, from a bi-pod.

You can reach Jim here on this site or at www.centershotrifles.com

I am 110% satisfied with the rifle he built, especially his customer service.

Anyone know If a bull and standard barrel can both be threaded to 5/8x24? If so that would great for me because I could use a break on several different sized barrel's I might buy?

It depends on the O.D. of the hunting barrel at the muzzle. You would have to have enough steel to cut a 5/8 thread safely.

All of the pencil barrels these days, NO.

Neal

I am new to the forum, but I thought I would add my two cents worth. I have spent several years wokringin a gun shop and have seen my fair share of breaks. I have seen them done by local gun smiths, factories, and machinists. The best looking breaks I have ever seen done are the ones that come from Barnes. Yes, that is the company that makes the bullets. They actually match the break to your rifle finish then they machine and thread your barrel for the break, and the seam between the barrel and the break is normally so small you have to get really close to even tell where it is. If you want a break that performs and looks great, I would look these guys up. They also normally cost about $150-$180 bucks. Those are the guys I choose to do breaks.

I have two Vias brakes. 7RM & 30-06.
My son has one. 7Rm
My 3 hunting buddies have one each. 2-300WM & 1 7RM.
I LOVE my guns/ w/ the Vias.
They LOVE their guns w/ the Vias.
Course.........we don't have any experience w/ any other brake, but we love the Via.

caveat: shooting prone you MIGHT need a piece of carpet to keep debris down. Hunting situations have never been a problem.

Good luck.
Kinda like choosing an ole lady, new beer, or caliber. Ya never know till ya try it out!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.