Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
I tell a guy to do what works best for him and people blow it out of the water...but saying that every shooter and hunter should have a muzzle brake on their rifle i don't know. A person should use what works best for him or her. And to the one that says everyone that I've guided must have been all good shots the answer is no they weren't some good and some not so good. And to say that if you don't have a brake on that your just going to wound a bunch of game is just not so. Like i say just shoot what works best for you not what works best for everyone else. If its a brake or not..

I tell a guy to do what works best for him and people blow it out of the water...but saying that every shooter and hunter should have a muzzle brake on their rifle i don't know. A person should use what works best for him or her. And to the one that says everyone that I've guided must have been all good shots the answer is no they weren't some good and some not so good. And to say that if you don't have a brake on that your just going to wound a bunch of game is just not so. Like i say just shoot what works best for you not what works best for everyone else. If its a brake or not..
I agree that we should do what works best for us. But a fact is this...anyone will more accurately shoot a rifle with 1/2 the recoil better. END OF STORY. I dont care how tuff we are...its recoil speed and energy and how your body reacts to it on average that will cause this. It is much less important on a 223 than a 338 but even a 223 will show differences.
A lot of this is LRH specific. More powder,lead,recoil. More NEED to see an impact(or miss). 2nd round capability etc are really LRH things and not so much at 100 yds.
Yes you will wound more animals on AVERAGE at LR without a brake for the aforementioned reasons and 10 others. And it does seem hard to beleive but these are the kind of things that matter with a LR shot that might not matter as much at 300-400 yds.
Best of luck to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
TOMMORROW IS THE 1 DAY OF THE YEAR A BRAKE SUCKS! hANGOVER+338=ANEURISM

I'll put a brake on a 22LR if it will keep the gun still. I wear double hearing protection when I'm at the range. When I hunt I wear electronic ear muffs. I like my hearing and I like my rifle to sit still. I shoot with a brake and I protect my ears. My rifles don't even kick hard without a brake. The first time I shot a rifle that was equipped with a brake I was hooked.

Toddc: I am not sure whether you were calling me a wimp re: my post about the doe, or if you were agreeing with me. Your scatological style of writing in most of your posts makes understanding your points difficult. I do not mean that as an insult, just an observation from an old writing teacher. If the fact that I do not enjoy having my rifles beat the bejeebers out of me makes me a wimp, then so be it. As always, if it works for you , keep doing it.

Personally, I think we have beaten the issue of muzzle brakes to death, and no one is likely to change their minds at this point. I suggest we leave it behind and move on to a new topic where at least some of us may learn something new. May I make a suggestion? I love wildcats, and perhaps we could discuss everyone's favorite long range wildcats, loads, experiences, etc. Or not, if everyone still wants to thump away on brakes.

Personally, I think we have beaten the issue of muzzle brakes to death, and no one is likely to change their minds at this point. I suggest we leave it behind and move on to a new topic where at least some of us may learn something new. May I make a suggestion? I love wildcats, and perhaps we could discuss everyone's favorite long range wildcats, loads, experiences, etc. Or not, if everyone still wants to thump away on brakes.
Read my sig line.LOL. How bout a 20mm necked down to 7mm. Its my newest stupid cartridge for newbs wanting the hottest new thing. I wonder if powder bridging will be an issue?
Naw seriously my hot new love affair is a 270-338 ultra. That new berger 170 is calling our names. It and the 195 7mm are gonna keep gunsmiths busy with fast twist 270s and 7mms for quite a while I figure.

There's actually a good way to change people's minds about muzzle brakes.

Let them shoot a given rifle with a quality brake on it.

Let them then shoot the same rifle with the bake removed.

Brakes don't have to give you a concussion to work well. There are a number of highly effective brakes on the market which are easy on the ears and still reduce recoil dramatically.

I personally see no sense in shooting anything I can't enjoy.

Toddc: I wish you had not mentioned a 270-338 mag. I have 55 rifles, and not a 270 of any kind in the bunch, except for the 6.8 spc, which, after firing it should be named 6.8 ngu (no good use). Now you put an idea in my head that is going to cost me a minimum of $3000. Hopefully I can wait for your results to be posted and something will deter me.

Wild Rose: I really do not notice an increase in noise if I take a muzzle brake off since the gases and therefore the noise are vented away from the muzzle. Some of it is vented back, but a good brake avoids most of that. The guys that suffer are the guys next to you at the range. But as I posted once before, the only complaints I have ever gotten at the range involves the dirt and sand from other shooters leaking bags that my brakes blow into the adjoining shooters faces and guns. That is why I always arrive early and clean the benches around me with a brush and a can of compressed air. Since I have been doing that, I have had no complaints about anything. Good shooters come to the range prepared, and that means good eye and ear protection. More and more folks have brakes, and nearly everyone just expects to find them at any range, and they have really become a non-issue to 95%+ of shooters. Unfortunately there occasionally is a guy who just likes to complain, make a big issue out of anything, likes to be confrontational, and usually leaves after irritating everyone else who is being considerate and congenial and just having a good time shooting their guns. They are usually the same guys who are shooting 6" groups and are looking for anything or anybody to blame it on besides their own poor equipment, lack of ability, and lack of knowledge of bullets, powders, brass, primers, and everything else that can affect good shooting. I have, unfortunately, been at the range a couple of times when the other shooters have run out of patience and just told some guy to go home. But those people are few and far between. I won't shoot at a range that is a hot line. What good does it do to shoot groups at 300 yards plus, when you cannot get your targets and measure your groups? So the range where I do shoot, we all have to cooperate and wait for a sort of natural break in the action to ask in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear, "OK to go down?" Then we all put down our guns , open the actions, and walk down to our targets to repair or replace them, exchanging ideas and information all the way there and back. Isn't it amazing how well things go when everyone is patient and just cooperates a little?

Now that I have spoken that piece, does anyone else have anything they would like to tell us about their wildcat rifles?

Toddc: I wish you had not mentioned a 270-338 mag. I have 55 rifles, and not a 270 of any kind in the bunch, except for the 6.8 spc, which, after firing it should be named 6.8 ngu (no good use). Now you put an idea in my head that is going to cost me a minimum of $3000. Hopefully I can wait for your results to be posted and something will deter me.

Wild Rose: I really do not notice an increase in noise if I take a muzzle brake off since the gases and therefore the noise are vented away from the muzzle. Some of it is vented back, but a good brake avoids most of that. The guys that suffer are the guys next to you at the range. But as I posted once before, the only complaints I have ever gotten at the range involves the dirt and sand from other shooters leaking bags that my brakes blow into the adjoining shooters faces and guns. That is why I always arrive early and clean the benches around me with a brush and a can of compressed air. Since I have been doing that, I have had no complaints about anything. Good shooters come to the range prepared, and that means good eye and ear protection. More and more folks have brakes, and nearly everyone just expects to find them at any range, and they have really become a non-issue to 95%+ of shooters. Unfortunately there occasionally is a guy who just likes to complain, make a big issue out of anything, likes to be confrontational, and usually leaves after irritating everyone else who is being considerate and congenial and just having a good time shooting their guns. They are usually the same guys who are shooting 6" groups and are looking for anything or anybody to blame it on besides their own poor equipment, lack of ability, and lack of knowledge of bullets, powders, brass, primers, and everything else that can affect good shooting. I have, unfortunately, been at the range a couple of times when the other shooters have run out of patience and just told some guy to go home. But those people are few and far between. I won't shoot at a range that is a hot line. What good does it do to shoot groups at 300 yards plus, when you cannot get your targets and measure your groups? So the range where I do shoot, we all have to cooperate and wait for a sort of natural break in the action to ask in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear, "OK to go down?" Then we all put down our guns , open the actions, and walk down to our targets to repair or replace them, exchanging ideas and information all the way there and back. Isn't it amazing how well things go when everyone is patient and just cooperates a little?

Now that I have spoken that piece, does anyone else have anything they would like to tell us about their wildcat rifles?
Tech you missed my point.

I wasn't talking about letting them compare the noise I was talking about letting them compare the felt recoil.

Let them shoot it braked, then remove the brake. They will then understand how much more pleasant and enjoyable the brake is when you can actually follow your trace and see the impacts, not to mention how valuable it is on correcting for follow ups and no matter how good any of us think or say we are, we will miss a substantial number of those first shot opportunities in the field at LR because unlike shooting off of a nice comfy bench at the range actual hunting conditions frequently throw unaccounted for variables and unknowns into the equation.

BTW I've shot some brake that will absolutely make your ears bleed and you can feel the blast pressure against your eyes. Thankfully however that tech has come a million miles forward in relatively few years since I shot my first braked rifles.

Except for the dust storms they can kick up shooting prone I absolutely love the Gentry Quiet brake. I swear my Rum is quieter with it on than without it.

Wild Rose: Thanks for the correction. You don't have to convince me on the value of brakes. As I have posted at length several times, I am a brake man all the way. I even have a brake on my little 25-06. The only two styles of brakes I have are Vais and Benchmark. I would recommend either, and neither increases the noise heard by the shooter. The only other point I will repeat and emphasize is that if you use brakes, you need to be aware of the needs and comfort of the shooters next to you.

+1 lets please talk about something else, been following this post for months now, the issue is beat to death. I would love to talk about wildcats, as Im building a 6.5 WSM and yes it does have a break!

Wild Rose: Thanks for the correction. You don't have to convince me on the value of brakes. As I have posted at length several times, I am a brake man all the way. I even have a brake on my little 25-06. The only two styles of brakes I have are Vais and Benchmark. I would recommend either, and neither increases the noise heard by the shooter. The only other point I will repeat and emphasize is that if you use brakes, you need to be aware of the needs and comfort of the shooters next to you.
I haven't shot on public ranges in literally decades but when I did and I was going to shoot a rifle with a brake I always let everyone know I was going to be shooting a braked magnum and that they needed to be sure and have ear protection on.

Hunting it's just not an issue. If I have anyone with me at all they'll be behind me if I'm shooting or vice versa.

+1 lets please talk about something else, been following this post for months now, the issue is beat to death. I would love to talk about wildcats, as Im building a 6.5 WSM and yes it does have a break!
Personally I try and run from such discussions as they get me to thinking about building either a 6.5 STW or 6.5x300wm... .gun)

aww come on wildrose lets talk about wildcats, The 6.5/300wm has kinda peeked my imagination. I also have a friend that is trying to develop a load for the 257stw, talk about overbored!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.