Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
I like brakes on bigger calibers. But when I get a brake done I also have a thread protector cut for it so when i'm at the range I can shoot with the brake, watch my shots and not worry about a sore shoulder. Then when im headed out for I hunt I screw the brake off and put the thread protector on.

That's kind of backwards. Most guys take the brake off at the range so the added noise will not bother other shooters, then put it on when hunting so they can track their shot, know where the bullet went, and where it hit the animal if it did.

In the thought of breaks I reasently had one installed on my 300RUM. My first shot with the break was Thursday of this week. Needless to say I forgot to put in some ear plugs. I did not know what to expect so I was holding the gun tight and squeezed one off. The concussion or blast completely caught me by surprise and for about the next 15 minutes my ears were ringing. I could not even tell you if the first shot recoiled the same or a lot less due to the blast. So ears now have stopped ringing and I get back on the bench with ear plugs. (I was not a range). Out west in the desert of Utah....Back on the bench I squeezed another round off.... WOW....WOW!!!!!! I could almost not believe it . I think I jumped out of my bench and danced around before thinking about loading another round. Slow,,slow squeeze trigger breaks and all I could think was WOW....I grabbed my 6.5 and pulled of a shot and had to shoot both a could of time to see which kicked more. They are now pretty much the same. The 300RUM is a sendero so it has some more weight but now it's no different than shooting my 6.5x284. I can not say enough about how well this break works. I'm shooting a 210 berger at about 3050FPS. Before I did not like shooting this rifle more than about 10 time in one outing and now I think I shot it 20 time with out thinking twice about how my shoulder felt. So the break was done by...Steve Pratt at ELK Meadow Performance down in Spring Lake Utah. Really nice guy and the turn-around time was great. Not sure how many projects he had going on but my rifle was done in a week. He worked the trigger over, and bedded the stock as well. The breaks are titanium so they add almost no weight to the rifle but they definitely work great. Its an angle break with ports on top to keep the barrel down due to muzzle jump. I'm really pleased with the effectiveness of the break. My wife is a little recoil sensitive but I may have her try it now since its kick like my 6.5.

So the break was done by...Steve Pratt at ELK Meadow Performance down in Spring Lake Utah. Really nice guy and the turn-around time was great. Not sure how many projects he had going on but my rifle was done in a week. He worked the trigger over, and bedded the stock as well. The breaks are titanium so they add almost no weight to the rifle but they definitely work great. Its an angle break with ports on top to keep the barrel down due to muzzle jump. I'm really pleased with the effectiveness of the break. My wife is a little recoil sensitive but I may have her try it now since its kick like my 6.5.

I also have an Elk Meadow brake on my 300WM and agree that it is a superb design. I have had mine about a year and having shot a few hundred rounds through it also find it as pleasent to shoot as my 6.5x284. I never sent my rifle out to have the brake installed. My 300WM Milspec was threaded with a cap. I gave Steve the muzzle OD of my rifle and he turned both the muzzle brake and peel washers to match the contour of my barrel. I was able to perfectly index the brake, it looks great, and the peel washers are barely noticable. The index holds perfectly when removing/reinstalling the brake. If you hve a threaded barrel and the inconvienence of sending your rifle out is holding anyone back, this is a good alternative. Total cost was under $200.

Last edited:
That's kind of backwards. Most guys take the brake off at the range so the added noise will not bother other shooters, then put it on when hunting so they can track their shot, know where the bullet went, and where it hit the animal if it did.

Yeah it is a little backwards. 95% of the time there is no one else at the range when I'm shooting, or I just go out in the hills and set up my own range. (Which a lot of people do around here) so it's not going effect other shooters very often. I guess I'm a lucky one with our range.

After reading some of the post about muzzle breaks here is my thoughts. After 4 re-constructive surgeries on my right shoulder from injuries sustained in the military I run breaks on everything long gun I own. I recently bought a Savage 10 in .223 and put a nice brake on it as well. Yes it makes it louder for those around me but hey thats what ear plugs are for. Two it sure makes it easier watching your shots and 3 it does'nt hurt the old bones as bad.
So if there is any debate on the pro's and con's, I would say there are more pro's than con's on this one. But again, to each their own.

Stay of the rigdes and keep your powder dry.... Pat :D

After a few to many shots yesterday and a few to many years of shooting I am seriously considering a brake.
What say ye?
hell yes .... since i put one on my 700 rem , chambered for 300 wyb mag , ive put one on my 7mm-08 for my grand daughter to use . we put ear plugs in at the range and be sure to let everybody next to us know when we will be shooting a round !!! and when hunting she keeps a plug in her left ear (shes right handed ) at all times !!! for a 12 year old to shoot all morning is purty sweet !! and reduced recoil is why ....

I have one on my blaser r93 and it is a must have for spotting hits at long range hunting. The noise is big, but I always use ear protection...

The only time I have had a noise problem was on a hunt with one partner. I had a deer down, but we were having trouble finding it. I saw the bullet hit the deer, but I was a bit low and a bit too far back. That almost always means a liver shot, which is a terrible place to hit an animal for two reasons...they do not bleed out nearly as fast as a heart or lung shot, and the blood goes down into the belly of the deer and you get very little in the way of a blood trail to follow. We saw the deer run 200 yds, jump a fence and go over the edge of a hill and disappear. My partner refused to believe that I hit the animal and complained constantly that after an hour of looking, we found no blood and no deer. We split up and agreed that if one of us found the deer we would fire two quick shots. Five minutes later I found the deer, stone dead, with a bullet hole exactly where I had told my partner it would be. Had I not had a brake, I would have given up on finding the animal at the one hour mark. I was shooting a 300 win mag, and prepared to fire our signal. I held the rifle in one hand and held it as high as I could reach to keep the sound away from my ears. Well, holding it in that position somehow maximized the noise, and **** that hurt. My ears didn't ring, they really hurt. I fired the second shot from my shoulder and had no problem. But, I got my deer, my partner had punched out, and we were headed for home. I know a lot of guys do not like brakes, and that is fine...do what works for you, but I will always put a brake on a gun that has any significant recoil issues, and I will always now carry ear plugs for any signal shots I have to fire.

I got a deal on an Armalite AR-30 in 300 win mag. I thought the brake was slightly silly looking and questioned the guns accuracy initially. That being said, it turned out to have extremely mild recoil and shoots 1/2 moa with good ammunition.

Half MOA for an AR? That's excelllent for ANY gun, let alone an AR semi-auto.

As I mentioned, my Browning A-Bolt came with a muzzle brake as part of its BOSS accuracy system. Love it.

I'm going to get a muzzle brake/suppressor combo for my Rem action competition .300 Win. mag. HS Precision rifle. The brake is the attatchment point for the AAC suppressor. Of dourse this means $200. for a Federal tax stamp and an average 8 month wait. Damned bureaucracy. Then there is the stupid high cost of the suppressor.

Half MOA for an AR? That's excelllent for ANY gun, let alone an AR semi-auto.

As I mentioned, my Browning A-Bolt came with a muzzle brake as part of its BOSS accuracy system. Love it.

I'm going to get a muzzle brake/suppressor combo for my Rem action competition .300 Win. mag. HS Precision rifle. The brake is the attatchment point for the AAC suppressor. Of dourse this means $200. for a Federal tax stamp and an average 8 month wait. Damned bureaucracy. Then there is the stupid high cost of the suppressor.

It is a bolt gun, I looked at buying the 338 Lapua version, but never did.
AR-30A1 .300 WM STD RIFLE FIXED STOCK

But the auto AR's can surprise you, I have a RRA Varmiter 223 that does 5 under a half inch regular as many will do & several 308 versions will do as well.

N.sendero,

OOPS! I forgot about THAT AR. It's very nice, better than Colt's recent offering. I love chassis stocks.

No wonder you are geting such accuracy - precision chassis plus precision action and barrel.

What magazines does it use? AI or Accu Mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.