Muzzle brake for 6.5PRC

Mtndog357

I am planning a build for a 6.5 PRC. Mainly for me to use, but also occasionally for the girls in my life. Mom and 2 teen age daughters. All three (3) gals are petite framed and under 5'3". They are all novice shooters. I am completely unfamiliar with the recoil of the 6.5. Would it punish too harshly without a muzzle break? For elk, I shoot a .300RUM. Without a muzzle brake it punished me. With the brake I can comfortably shoot all day long. So I understand the benefits of a brake. But in your opinion, under my circumstances, would a brake be necessary or best?

Felt recoil is dependent on the weight of the rifle. At 15lbs, my .300 WSM is more of a "push" than a violent shove.
Different story with a CF barrel/lightweight mountain rifle.

Especially since they're novice shooters, I would definitely fit a brake to it for any magnum- including the PRC.
Nathan at Muzzle Brakes and More has effective brakes that won't "brake" the bank :)

Even with a brake, some inexperienced shooters might develop a flinch with a magnum.
If any of the ladies are uncomfortable with the recoil- back them down to something more manageable. Once a flinch habit is developed it can be hard to break.

Ultradyne is the way to go! I have several and are small in diameter, but are well designed.

Put a brake on it, you lose nothing & get reduced recoil out of the deal. I'd personally recommend the Area 419 Hellfire Match.

Just make sure the girls are aware of an OK with the extra noise & concussion. It can make people jumpy, especially the novice that doesn't expect it.

t