Muzzle Brake & Bad Weather?

300Thumbhole

I have always hunted with a balloon over the muzzle during inclement weather (snow, rain etc.) and with this set up you can shoot right through the balloon without removing it.
My question is what is a good way to protect the barrel from snow, water etc. with a muzzle brake on the rifle?
Will the balloon method work without changing ballistics, is it safe?
What do y'all do?

Thanks
Jerry

I would love to hear from someone who has been there but

I was just going to do the same thing with a break.

Been there done that with an M14 and a condom in monsoon Vietnam. Yes it works but personally I prefer holding the rifle muzzle down across the body in rain/snow especially if you have a scope with a rear flip up cover cap.

No problems with balloons. I have used electrical tape for years with zero issues.

I use fingers and thumb cut out of nitrile gloves.

Works just fine.

For the very large PainKiller brake I think I'll build a roof over it. :D

A finger cot (or similar) is probably the easiest and most cost effective protection for the muzzle brake ...

539_7800_0024_Lr.jpg

or (for most of the rifle) ...

CN-206-2jpg.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BE3TWW/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I use painter's tape, but the same general premise. John Plaster discusses it at length in his book, but the short version is that since your bullet will be proceeded by a small bit of gas, it will knock anything on/over the barrel out of the way (or punch a hole) before your bullet actually leaves the barrel, ballistics should be unaffected. That is verified by my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.