Muzzle brake accedent!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Coyle, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

This is what happens to your lunch when you leave half and fire your rifle on the next table. I didn't realize the gas would scatter my lunch. Life is rough for an old man, at times.

20180609_112611_Film1 (1).jpg

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

That's a good laugh!

Steve

3. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

I had a foam drink cup next to my muzzlebrake once. The cup was in pieces after the shot with the bottom still intact with a little drink. I drank it lol

4. tmmcampbell

tmmcampbell Well-Known Member

Lol my first break was on a .243 bar. I wanted to quiet it down so I wrapped about 1/2 a role of electric tape around it. Poof, the tape vanished.

jlvandersnick and Tidus56 like this.
  5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Can we say , you lost your lunch?:rolleyes:

J E CUSTOM

6. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

A shooter who had the bench next to me a a public range put a SS hose clamp around the holes on his brake to determine if using the brake effected accuracy. One shot and the clamp blew off with pieces flying in different directions. It was lucky that no one was hit.
    I would have never guessed that the escaping gases were that powerful.

jrock likes this.
  7. Rich Coyle

My buddy fired his STW while lying on the tailgate of his Tacoma. The entire tail light assembly was blown out; not just the red lens.

HARPERC likes this.
  8. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, I was at the range with my .270 AI (pushing the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS and sports a JP Enterprise MB). I was using the bench closest to the sign in sheet area and I warned a guy that I am about to pull the trigger, he said he has ear plugs and used to muzzle blasts in a cocky kind of way. So I said "alrighty then" and pulled the trigger. The guy jumped and almost hit the post and dropping the clip board; after he picked up the clip board, he gave me the look and walked away. I pretended that I never saw it but was laughing inside. :D

9. kimberyote

kimberyote Well-Known Member

There is a real need for range officers. Sometimes the brain just decides to stop working!

alcesgigas likes this.
  10. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I just had a 30Nosler built. Ordinarily, that would warrant a quality brake to make shooting more comfortable and to keep the scope away from my eye. o_O
    However, the down-sides of using a brake outweighed the benefits and I chose to do without one. Brakes are a BIG compromise IMO.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  11. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

After using a high quality brake I will not personally have a rifle bigger than a 30-06 without one. Some brakes do not make enough diff to warrant the use.

Steve

12. Rich Coyle

Brakes like that are like scopes I tried and didn't keep. They're gone.

13. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

A fellow with a .50 set up next to me, I had sense enough to be a few yards behind him, but left heavier objects on the bench. Enough blast to flip a full box of .338 RUM off the table with room to spare. Cured my .50 fantasy.

CaptnC and RockyMtnMT like this.
  14. tmmcampbell

tmmcampbell Well-Known Member

Lol I haven’t discovered that cure. My 50 cal cure happens when I look at my bank account.