Muzzle Brake and barrel length

Blacktail

Well I think I may finally pull the trigger on a brake but worried about overall length. My rifle sports a 26" shil and been getting real good accuracy out of 160 bergers to 3220fps 1/4" to 1/2" Only issue is this is strictly a hunting rifle and really don't want a 28" overall barrel. Thought about cutting and recrowning to 24 or 25 then add the brake but worried about too much velcocity loss. Since shes been a little scratched up from hunting probably going to send to Kampfeld for a makeover and may have it fluted and a brake added. thanks guys

I looked into a bunch of brakes and was recommended a brake by snowy mountain rifles in Montana. Its the best brake ive ever shot and highly recommend them.

Thanks guys I am wondering how much velocity I'll lose if I go 24 or 25" no since in having an STW if lose too much. Already have a 280

Thanks guys I am wondering how much velocity I'll lose if I go 24 or 25" no since in having an STW if lose too much. Already have a 280

~25+/_ FPS per inch. I personally would leave the barrel length as-is until it is time for re-barrel esp when you already have a 280. My .270 AI sports a 30" Lilja barrel + JP Bennie Cooley brake ...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/lara3ec/1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

My .300 WSM has the mini version of the video below ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA?t=1[/ame]

I'd seriously consider this MB >>> The Beast

Good luck!

To be honest, I don't think you would hardly ever notice the extra length of the brake. Maybe if you hunted from a scabbard all the time but even then it wouldn't be bad. Velocity loss wouldn't be that bad by hacking off 2 inches...probably 40-70 fps. I'd probably just put a brake on it and not shorten it.

I've been running a Vias for a few years on my STW and just sent it off to Nathan at Muzzle Brakes and More. He's going to match the contour and index one of his Beast 4 ports for me so all I have to do is cerakote it, put it on and shoot. Hopefully it reduces the recoil even further (I think it will) but at the very least I won't have the dust kick up any more.

Check out Muzzlebrakes and More. His brake testing against the leading PRS brakes on his site is impressive. I bought a 2 piece, best brake I have ever used. I have a new MPA Alamo Four Star 2 piece that I have not tried yet. My barrel is 28"+ sporting this MBM brake. It is used for PRS type matches. I would leave the length of the barrel alone. JMO.

I looked into a bunch of brakes and was recommended a brake by snowy mountain rifles in Montana. Its the best brake ive ever shot and highly recommend them.
North West Precision makes one extremely similar which I have now on 7 different rifles and as long as they keep making them, it will be the brake I put on everything now.

Even my .375 Ruger pushing 300gr pills at around 2700FPS is proving to be a heck of a lot of fun to shoot since adding it.

They sell them on Ebay and the price is certainly right.
Muzzle Brake Compensator Rifle or Pistol | eBay

I highly recommend the slotted version.

Really tames both felt recoil and muzzle flip and at the same time is very pleasant to shoot even if you forget or don't have time to put on ear protection.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.