Optimum barrel length for 7stw?

joeycoates

I am about to order a barrel for what is now a 7RM and is going to become a 7stw. As I am re-barreling I can go with whatever length I want within reason. So the question is what barrel length would you go with if given the choice? If 26" will get the most out of slower burning powders like H-1000 or Retumbo then great, but If I would be better served with a 28" or even 30" then that would be fine as well. I am planning on going with a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist 5c Benchmark barrel to take advantage of the heavier 7 mm rounds as they become available. I really do not plan on shooting anything under 168gr anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions! gun)

joey

the standard is 26" for the STW. The 28" will add some to the load, and might help with the heavier loads.

The other question that I have is how do you plan to use the gun? Will you mainly be stand hunting with easy access or will it be a carry gun where you might be going up and down mountains with it.

For the heavy loads, either of those twists will work, just work slowly with the loads with them.

Bill

I really do not have much area to hike and hunt, I mainly hunt over a few large fields and shoot from a small hilltop or portable bench. As such I am not just too concerned with weight. If I ever do have a chance to go on a hiking hunt I would just deal with the weight, it cannot be worse that humping a M-240B and 55 lbs ruck for 15 miles...

I've got a 24" bbl on my currest stw. My dad has the dmb rem with a 25" bbl. My sendero had a 26" bbl. None seem to really make much difference over the chrono.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/4000-fps-7mm-stw-w-140-bullet-109862/index7.html

As the pressure graphs show you are already down to 10KPSI well before the end of the 26" stw bbl. I was using. You will get fps gain by going longer than 24", but it won't be over 20-25 fps per inch. I'll stay in the 24-26" range on my big 7mm's.

I really do not have much area to hike and hunt, I mainly hunt over a few large fields and shoot from a small hilltop or portable bench. As such I am not just too concerned with weight. If I ever do have a chance to go on a hiking hunt I would just deal with the weight, it cannot be worse that humping a M-240B and 55 lbs ruck for 15 miles...

My best friend is an Infantry 240B gunner.

Mine has a 26" barrel and shoots good, but I think a 28" might help a lite bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.