7mm STW with suppressor, need advice on barrel length.

sledneck84

I am in the process of having a 7mm STW built and need to order the barrel. It will wear a suppressor and i am not sure what barrel length to go with. the suppressor is 9 inches long. Can i have a heavy contour 20" tube and get all the benefits of the round. I am hoping i can keep the finished length with the suppressor under 30". Anyone have any insight on this or know someone running an stw suppresed. thanks.

I'd go with at least a 24" bbl. with the stw. If you weren't hanging that long of a can on the end I'd say to go with 26" or more.
Can you go to an 1885 or #1 action to get the overall length of the rifle down??
If you are stuck on a 20-22" bbl. length a 280AI or 7rem may be a bit better option as it'll make less noise with the can and will make use of the shorter barrel length better; you'll probably get nearly the same speed with all three cal's in a 20" bbl and the stw will be harder to get accurate as your muzzle pressure will be higher and want to kick the bullet around a bit more.

The strain gauge graph here is the win 150 grain factory load fired in my old sendero 7mmstw. Notice the secondary peak; that was a tight spot at 16" down the bore and the pressure is still at 30 Kpsi.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.