Must use 30 cal for moose

---
= 152

what do these numbers mean ?
these numbers tell me that I have 152 days until moose season and I have to use a 30 caliber cartridge to hunt moose with

Don't believe me ? These maths don't lie ..

152 (days) divided by 6 (the months the days are in) = 25.3333333 + 5 (letters in Moose) = 30.3333333 = 30 and then the seven .3's represent the letters in caliber

30 CALIBER ..... WOW, AMAZING !
I have to hunt moose with a 30 caliber rifle this coming season in 152 days ! the numbers don't lie !!!!

Which 30 caliber cartridge ? That is still a mystery though , but I'm working on solving that riddle, stand by .......

View attachment 262235
You moose be mistaken, I shot mine with a 7mm

I think it was Jack O'Connor who said that moose were not difficult to kill, especially the old bulls. He said that the lungs were so filled up with "stuff" from the bogs they had been feeding in, that with the reduced lung capacity they didn't go far (and he shot a few with the .270). I know that the .30-06 with a decent 150gr or 180gr will do the job. Last time out our crew got a 900 pounder and an 1100 pounder. It was a long and heavy haul bringing those two out of the Quebec forest.

I'm not quite certain about what you are trying to say here; however I really enjoyed everyone's opinions about what to hunt moose with in their replies. You certainly did open a "big" can of worms with this post!! I have a plethora of cartridges that I "could" use for moose hunting, .270AI, .308 Winchester, 30-06, .358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 45-70. Although it probably would work, the .270AI would certainly not be my first choice. Of all the choices, "for a one gun hunt", I would select the 30-06 with a Barnes 180gr TSX or TTSX only because it would afford me a versatile cartridge with the lethal capabilities of up close and intimate to 300 yards+ if necessary. My second choice would be the 35 Whelen, and out to 300 yards for me would be pushing it, and I do shoot 8 inch steel plates at 300 yards consistently; after 300 yards gravity takes over too much. I have a hunting buddy who shot a moose at a little over 100 yards with the Whelen, he said it took one step and dropped in its tracks. For me I believe that a somewhat heavy bullet that is going to stay together instead of breaking up upon impact is the most important factor in this .30 caliber equation. If I were using a .308 it would still be the Barnes 180gr TSX or TTSX bullet. And.......if I am lucky to draw a moose permit, I will be back to send you another reply about how well the "06" performed. I am just putting together a Ruger 77, tang safety rifle with a 26 inch Lilja barrel that needs to be field tested! Hope you are successful on your moose hunt; I've got 166 days until our Maine black bear hunt; and......that one "will" be with the 45-70 with the Barnes 300, FBHP TSX (up close and intimate)

I'm not quite certain about what you are trying to say here; however I really enjoyed everyone's opinions about what to hunt moose with in their replies. You certainly did open a "big" can of worms with this post!! I have a plethora of cartridges that I "could" use for moose hunting, .270AI, .308 Winchester, 30-06, .358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, 45-70. Although it probably would work, the .270AI would certainly not be my first choice. Of all the choices, "for a one gun hunt", I would select the 30-06 with a Barnes 180gr TSX or TTSX only because it would afford me a versatile cartridge with the lethal capabilities of up close and intimate to 300 yards+ if necessary. My second choice would be the 35 Whelen, and out to 300 yards for me would be pushing it, and I do shoot 8 inch steel plates at 300 yards consistently; after 300 yards gravity takes over too much. I have a hunting buddy who shot a moose at a little over 100 yards with the Whelen, he said it took one step and dropped in its tracks. For me I believe that a somewhat heavy bullet that is going to stay together instead of breaking up upon impact is the most important factor in this .30 caliber equation. If I were using a .308 it would still be the Barnes 180gr TSX or TTSX bullet. And.......if I am lucky to draw a moose permit, I will be back to send you another reply about how well the "06" performed. I am just putting together a Ruger 77, tang safety rifle with a 26 inch Lilja barrel that needs to be field tested! Hope you are successful on your moose hunt; I've got 166 days until our Maine black bear hunt; and......that one "will" be with the 45-70 with the Barnes 300, FBHP TSX (up close and intimate)
Kidding about the 30-40 kraig in all reality if I took a 30 cal it probably be a 300 wby or 300wsm if I took something smaller it be a6.5 prc with 131 gr hammers good luck on your hunt

my 300 RUM comment was in agreement that the 300 RUM works extremely well on moose and validation from my personal experience

and I'm not necessarily looking for + or - on the power scale, just something new & different, in both .... cartridge and bullet

I'm always trying new bullets on moose and this past season stomped a bull with my 300 LRC using a Badlands 205 gr Super Bulldozer 2 bullet and watched my brother dump a bull with my 300 RUM using my handloads with the new Federal 175 Ascent bulllet , both bullet/cartridge combos worked extremely well on a couple nice bulls

I'm hoping the new Barnes 208 gr LRX will be out and available before moose season, apparently they have redesigned the bullet for higher bc's and to open up at even longer distances/slower velocities, BUT require an 8 tw barrel for optimum results, so that kind of leaves my factory barreled rifles in 7.82 Warbird, 30-378 WBY, 300 RUM, 300 WBY, 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, 30-06, 308 Win and 30-30 out of the hunt.... unless rebarreled with a proper twist barrel... but if I'm rebarreling a rifle with a high grade Rock or Bartlein I can't bring myself to do a factory chambering, it always ends up with a wildcat chamber, just the way things work in my world

just brainstorming and scheming on a thirty, thirsty for blood

View attachment 262295
300 Norma Improved 212 LRX