Multi purpose tripod/bipod mount.

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I know most people that use a rifle on a tripod like to have it far back, close to the action. This allows you to let the tripod completely hold the weight of the rifle. I have used this, it when I'm running a shorter lighter weight tripod, or a heavier rifle I usually avoid this. Last season I added a tripod adaptor right in behind my bipod mount. I don't use it to completely support the rifle on its own, but it still allows me to use the tripod to take steady shots where a bipod can't be used. That was my reasoning behind this mount design.

You can run a picatinny attachment style bipod in the front, and then you have the available arca Swiss adaptor for use with a Tripod. With the bipod attached you just pull the tripod adapter toward you into the tripod.

I don't even have a bipod in this style so I just ordered one, and will put this to the test once I get it. Spacing is 1.2"to a little over 3". I made two variations to test initially. One is for 1/4-20s and the other for 10-32 screws. It's 7075, which is quite a bit stronger than standard 6061 aluminum.

What's everyone's opinion on this design/design intent?

C67E85A2-E1A6-4C11-B951-25A9ACE6F7C7.jpeg
DE4F1136-9407-41E2-9C80-E16CCD05977D.jpeg

I like the intent, and I am envious of your machining skills and know-how.

My only thoughts are that ARCA compatible bipod attachments are becoming more and more common, especially for say ATLAS bipods. Why not just stick with a straight ARCA rail, and then adapt a bipod to it (since you didn't have one yet when you made the rail)? This seems to add complexity where it isn't necessary. With a straight ARCA rail you could just add or remove the tripod or bipod depending on shooting conditions.

The RRS Anvil takes pic or arca.Some others do also. I have pic already on my packer so im getting a small adapter to get that on my pack tripod.They have rrs pro btc that fit pic or arc for the Atlas bipod

That is one beautiful piece of machining! I am so jonesing to have access to a mill.

I like the design, especially the provision to have it more forwards, since you can think of the difference in what the muzzle will do with any lateral movement, with having it forward or rearward, and having positioned more forward will reduce this motion.

I like the intent, and I am envious of your machining skills and know-how.

My only thoughts are that ARCA compatible bipod attachments are becoming more and more common, especially for say ATLAS bipods. Why not just stick with a straight ARCA rail, and then adapt a bipod to it (since you didn't have one yet when you made the rail)? This seems to add complexity where it isn't necessary. With a straight ARCA rail you could just add or remove the tripod or bipod depending on shooting conditions.

I can answer that. So I already own a assortment of bipods none of which are arca Mount style and the least expensive ones are magpul lay about $120 each. This seems like exactly what I'd buy and eliminate the need for my hog saddle which is heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.