multi purpose 308

jsthntn247

I am wanting to build a multi purpose 308 for shooting f/tr and plinking subsonics around the camphouse. I am looking at a 20" criterion threaded barrel with 1:10 twist bedded into a Stockade prarie dog special stock and SSS competition trigger. I already have a Stevens .223 that I would rebarrel. What do you guys think of this, will I be able to compete in f/tr with that short of a barrel? Thinking about 175 SMK's and varget or h4350 for f/tr and 175 round nose bullets with trailboss powder for subs. Is this doable or do you have any other suggestions? Only would be shooting to 600 in competition.

I would go with a 24" to help with a good velocity. You want at 2650fps with your 175's. Other than that, sounds like a good set up. I have a Savage Mod 12 action with a 28" barrel on it. The thing just flat out shoots. It's crazy accurate. I have B&C Medalist A2 stock on mine. Works good, but would have to say my next stock will be a stockade. For your subs, I would go with a 180-220 grain round nose.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.