Mule Deer on Public Land out West - Help

arbogb062

I am currently building a new rifle which should be done by mid-September. It is probably too late this year, but I would like to go on a self-guided public land mule deer hunt out West. A few questions I've had before diving head first are what states/areas produce decent/trophy mule deer bucks along with getting an out of state license fairly easy?

Being on the east coast (DE) I doubt driving there would be an option so some sort of lodge/campsite/hotel would need to be within an hour or 2 of the location. I'd be willing to drive 12-15 hours one way but still don't think that gets me where I need to be.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Eventually if the mule deer on public land was a success I'd like to try my hand at elk on public land as well.

Would love to hunt a rolling hill, mountain-ous area with open valleys. Use to flat lands with fields and woods here. Trying to change it up.

Thanks in advance.

You're not even in the planning stage.

First thing I'd do is learn about mule deer. Early season, they're way up high in bowls. Then they hit thick stuff and become nocturnal if they move much at all. They're preparing for the rut. Come late Oct/early Nov, they're on the move looking for love.

Do research. Figure out a state that you can hunt. If you're thinking over-the-counter, your options are limited. You'll probably be hunting Colorado with a million other hunters.

I know that lots of hunters emphasize how tough elk hunting is. And they're right. However, mule deer hunting is every bit as tough. Getting one out is a lot easier.

For both mule deer and elk, you won't need a mega magnum. If you're going magnum, you'd be more than good with a 7MM Rem Mag. I could hunt everything in North America including griz with a .280 Rem, which I think is the single best cartridge for all North American big game hunting. No, I don't own one. I didn't have the brains to buy one when I was buying big game rifles. I do it all with a .270 Win; however, I did kill a huge bull a couple years ago with a 7MM Rem Mag, but I could've killed him just as dead with a .270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.