Mule deer hunt out west.

The 6.5X284 would be my choice as well. I've hunted with a .270 for mule deer in California all my life and it's worked great. Good luck on your hunt!!

whatever you use, practice out to 5 or 600 yards unless you are hunting in low brush river bottom country where shots could be closer. Hunting open country mule deer and you will be shooting at extended ranges.

I drew a tag out west for a Nov mule derr hunt. What rifle would you take and why? I have a 6.5x284, 30-378 and a 338 Laupa. They all great guns and all heavy, but get heavier as they get larger. What are your thoughts
living out west my whole life i have taken hundreds of mule deer up to 32 3/4 inch ! mule deer are not hard to kill so i would recommend the 6.5x284 with a 140 or 143 bullet !

I would go with whatever rifle you shoot best with. If it isn't too much hassle I think you should bring two guns. If you drop your gun and bump the scope, it is nice to have a backup. All 3 will work for Mule deer just fine. If the 6.5 is your lightest rifle I would lean towards that. Last year I killed 2 mule deer with my 338 Lapua with 300 g Berger's and it worked great. The downside to my Lapua is around 14.5 lbs and it isn't as easy to shoulder for a quick shot if I jump a deer at 50 yards. However, it "bucks the wind" better than any other gun I own and the weight doesn't bother me when it is in the rifle scabbard in my pack. I also have a 6.5 that weighs only 6lbs that I prefer to use on the more difficult hikes. Getting in good physical shape for your hunt and losing a few pounds is going to help you more on your hunt than shaving 5lbs of rifle weight.

I would go with whatever rifle you shoot best with. If it isn't too much hassle I think you should bring two guns. If you drop your gun and bump the scope, it is nice to have a backup. All 3 will work for Mule deer just fine. If the 6.5 is your lightest rifle I would lean towards that. Last year I killed 2 mule deer with my 338 Lapua with 300 g Berger's and it worked great. The downside to my Lapua is around 14.5 lbs and it isn't as easy to shoulder for a quick shot if I jump a deer at 50 yards. However, it "bucks the wind" better than any other gun I own and the weight doesn't bother me when it is in the rifle scabbard in my pack. I also have a 6.5 that weighs only 6lbs that I prefer to use on the more difficult hikes. Getting in good physical shape for your hunt and losing a few pounds is going to help you more on your hunt than shaving 5lbs of rifle weight.

Of course, the best of both worlds would be a 9 pound .338 Lapua (scoped, loaded, slung)....but many people find that somewhat offensive to shoot! Decisions......Decisions! ;) memtb

Bring whatever you'd use to hunt a whitetail in whatever terrain type you'll be in. Where I've been around mulies, a .30-30 with buckhorn rear and corncob front would be entirely sufficient.
Would be a very poor choice for a western mule deer hunt, when the OP already has listed 3 much better choices.

I myself would use that awesome 30-378 myself with a high bc bullet. I know the whole 6.5 anything craze and that is an awesome round. Been thinking bout getting that one myself. But I believe the 30-378 would flat out perform the 6.5-284 without looking at any charts.

I myself would use that awesome 30-378 myself with a high bc bullet. I know the whole 6.5 anything craze and that is an awesome round. Been thinking bout getting that one myself. But I believe the 30-378 would flat out perform the 6.5-284 without looking at any charts.

wv270 WM, I'm surely glad he didn't have a 6.5 CM and you "blindly" suggested that the 30-378 is superior to the CM...... True blasphemy! :) memtb

My best advice is bring what you shoot the best and is most comfortable .
I agree with Rum Man.
I guided muley hunts for over 15 years and had hunters take deer with every caliber imaginable.
Take what you shoot best and are comfortable with.
I have a friend who borrowed a 243 for his young son to take on his first muley hunt. Bingo! He took a nice NM buck.

Leave the .338 at home. Bring the 6.5-.284 Norma as your primary, and the .30-.338 Weatherby as your backup. Never, EVER, only bring one rifle for a hunt, unless you plan on backpack hunting from a spike camp. Heck, I usually bring 3!

6.5 is plenty for mulies out to 600-900 depending on your load...and skill with it. Shoot a 140 high BC bullet @ 2950-3000+, and the mulies don't stand a chance if you put the bullet where it needs to go.

16 yrs out west .270 did fine for me farthest shot 650yds muley shot 6 -7 more over 400 mostly on the run antelope
Lighter rifle the better for me.
always had extra with .300 whtby, .240 wthby , 6mm rem. .2506 did a fine job to
6.5 284 would be my first choice
Learning the wind takes time .22-250 was a great teacher prairie dogs

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.