Mule deer hunt out west.

Cuatro

I drew a tag out west for a Nov mule derr hunt. What rifle would you take and why? I have a 6.5x284, 30-378 and a 338 Laupa. They all great guns and all heavy, but get heavier as they get larger. What are your thoughts

If you are hiking the high country, for multiple days looking for a potential trophy deer...anything over 9# is getting heavy, no matter the caliber!

Back in the day, when I was a much younger, x- marathoner, I would "never" even consider my Savage 6.5-284 Long Range Fluted as a high country mule deer rifle. It is simply too heavy to carry for an extended, physically demanding "high country" mule deer hunt!

If the high country, very physical hunt is not on the agenda....then anything you want to use! memtb

We take mature muley buck's every year with 260 Rem, 6.5x55, & 6.5-06. Light recoil, deep penetration . Never hap a problem. Also take elk with these same cal's. Never lost an elk. It's all about proper bullet properly placed. Large cal's & heavy bullets do not make up for poorly place shots.

6.5X284 will be my choice. The others are too heavy and a bit overkill. We have 7mm in several versions we use on Az Mulies with great success as well as a few using smaller calibers. Where is your hunt? Good luck.

I drew a tag out west for a Nov mule derr hunt. What rifle would you take and why? I have a 6.5x284, 30-378 and a 338 Laupa. They all great guns and all heavy, but get heavier as they get larger. What are your thoughts

Well if you take the lapua, at least the bullet can make the kill two counties away.

I don't know where you are going because western hunting enviornment is vast, but probably the best advise is to bring what you are prepared to carry. Some people get out by a meadow and walk off the road a few hundred yards and get lucky, some people walk out miles and miles up and down valleys and rocky terrain. Just depends.

Of those 3 calibers, I would go 6.5x284. I use a 25-06 and 6mmAI for deer, and haven't lost one yet. So, the 6.5 will serve well, but depending on your hunting terrain, style, and physical ability, it might get heavy.

Happy hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.