mule deer bullet?

Cowman

I am working up a load for a Jan Mule deer hunt in Mexico. The rifle is a 300WM lightweight Beanland custom with a 10 twist Lilja, topped with a 2.5-10-42 NXS. It shoots 168 Bergers very well, and I have taken two nice whitetails with this bullet. Have been working up loads using 168 Barnes TTSK. They also shoot very well, but am having difficulty getting the bullets to seat deep enough using a full charge of H1000. Any other thoughts on a great bullet, thinking 6-700 yards for max range with this gun.

I am working up a load for a Jan Mule deer hunt in Mexico. The rifle is a 300WM lightweight Beanland custom with a 10 twist Lilja, topped with a 2.5-10-42 NXS. It shoots 168 Bergers very well, and I have taken two nice whitetails with this bullet. Have been working up loads using 168 Barnes TTSK. They also shoot very well, but am having difficulty getting the bullets to seat deep enough using a full charge of H1000. Any other thoughts on a great bullet, thinking 6-700 yards for max range with this gun.
Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond. Both fly pretty well and perform consistently on game.

When I talked to Hornady the other day they said Interbonds should be hitting the shelves again pretty soon.

215 Berger with H1000 and Fed GM 215M. Try them at 30 thou off the lands to start. Many others on here shooting this combo with great success.

I usually stuff a 165 hornady through the slats on mule deer if I'm using my 300win, but that rifle has always liked mid weight pills. The last mule deer buck I shot, a 5x7, was drilled through the neck at a bit over 1/4 mile with a 140 ab from my old 7stw and it didn't even take a step. You can pretty much use whatever you want as long as the pill will hold together a bit and it has enough bc to get there and still have the energy to do its job.

If the 168 bergers shoot good go with that. No sense changing things up for a animal that's not much bigger than what your shooting now.

165 Nosler Ballistic Tip. A little shorter, very accurate and they will not let you down.

If the 168 bergers shoot good go with that. No sense changing things up for a animal that's not much bigger than what your shooting now.

xMillion.... My thoughts exactly, but he may be using the hunt as an excuse to work up another load.

I say 215 hybrid for two reasons. 1.. broz has proven 100x over they kill and kill well. 2.. Sometimes muleys are found where the wind howls and all the extra bc you can get will help.

Personally, I would not be concerned about which "mule deer" bullet to use....to many bullets and too little time. One box of Federal Fusion 165gr SPBT 300WSM will definitely get the job done! Outstanding stuff in every 300WSM I have ever used it in. Besides, if you can't hit it with that "ain't nothing bigger gonna help."

Personally, I would not be concerned about which "mule deer" bullet to use....to many bullets and too little time. One box of Federal Fusion 165gr SPBT 300WSM will definitely get the job done! Outstanding stuff in every 300WSM I have ever used it in. Besides, if you can't hit it with that "ain't nothing bigger gonna help."

Its gonna be hard to close the bolt in his 300wm with those federal 300wsm loads. Call me crazy but I don't think this guy bought a beenland gun to shoot factory ammo, just a hunch.

^ This. A muley is not a bullet proof monster. I have had plenty fall to a .25-06 Ackley and the 115 Berger HVLD. We tried connecting this year with my 6.5 SLR and a 140 HVLD, but my daughter was very picky, and did not wind up taking a buck.

^ This. A muley is not a bullet proof monster. I have had plenty fall to a .25-06 Ackley and the 115 Berger HVLD. We tried connecting this year with my 6.5 SLR and a 140 HVLD, but my daughter was very picky, and did not wind up taking a buck.

I love when anecdotal evidence is proposed. A deer can be killed with 22lr, mind blown!

I love when anecdotal evidence is proposed. A deer can be killed with 22lr, mind blown!

Why would suggesting the OP use the Berger he is currently shooting well for WT on a mule deer be "anecdotal evidence" (as in an unreliable or cherry-picked example)? Because I have no experience with a .300WM shooting a 168gr. HVLD? I was simply stating that mule deer should be no different than the WT he has been taking with his preferred bullet, and that they can be taken reliably with less.

I also shoot a .300RUM with the 210 HVLDs at a measly 2956fps, and have taken deer and elk with the .300RUM and 175 SMKs too.