Moving with gunpowder

The Oregonian

I know the movers can't take it, this is more a question of what options are available to me without subjecting the powder to temp swings.

I'm moving to Missoula from Tennessee and driving out in the pickup with 2 kids and a dog, so can space is limited and it's a 3-4 day trip. But it's a lot of money in powder so the kids and dog can deal if needed :D

Options are to keep it in the cab with us where temp will be stable or put in bed in a cooler where the cooler will help but not sure of it will be stable enough temps. No camper top or anything....

How many pounds/cans?
Ice chest with each can in a ziploc bag. Shelf to keep powder separated from ice/water.
I think my first choice would be to sell it.
Second choice is will 4 days of heat do that much? Not like it is being stored at elevated temp all summer.

I would place it in a ice chest with bubble wrap protecting It and duct tape the chest to help hold the temperature as consistent as possible (Seal it to minimize air flow) and place it in the back/bed of the truck when traveling. Once you stop for the night take it with you to the room and then return it to the bed while traveling. Covering it with a couple of moving blankets would also help keep the temperature from the sun getting it hot.

The suggestion about selling it would also be a good idea if you could. You might not break even on the cost, but it would be easier.

J E CUSTOM

I'm potentially In the same boat so I'm tagging in. What's the worst that can happen as far as temp swings with powder? The cooler is a good idea. I have a cap on the back of my truck so I could see temps getting a little high. I just cant see trying to sell it off and hope I make enough to buy it back

I know the movers can't take it, this is more a question of what options are available to me without subjecting the powder to temp swings.

I'm moving to Missoula from Tennessee and driving out in the pickup with 2 kids and a dog, so can space is limited and it's a 3-4 day trip. But it's a lot of money in powder so the kids and dog can deal if needed :D

Options are to keep it in the cab with us where temp will be stable or put in bed in a cooler where the cooler will help but not sure of it will be stable enough temps. No camper top or anything....
I was going to say a cooler but you already had that idea it will be better than just being out in the sun for sure But I think maybe you you're worrying too much when you order over the Internet it goes from a warehouse maybe air conditioned or not on to a UPS or Fed ex truck no air condition you know it's not the best thing in the world but I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be .

Last edited:
I put mine (20-30lbs) in a wood storage crate and drove from N.C. to Washington state, stayed for 2yrs, packed it up again and moved to Va., stayed 2 yrs, packed it up again and moved to Ga., stayed 2 yrs and moved back to N.C.
I didn't try to ice mine down, just kept it in the Penske going and Uhaul coming back. In all that time I only lost one can and I'm not sure what caused it to go. I lived right on the coast and I noticed my Hodgdon 1lb bottle lids were starting to rust, inside the house. That's when I found the Alliant RL-22 (plastic bottle and cap). I bought it while in N.C., so it went to Wa., Va. and then Ga. I kept in in the house (man-cave) so it was temp. controlled but that day I opened it up and shook it to make sure it was dry and a bluish-purple fume/smoke came out of the bottle. Freaked me out and I quickly but carefully took it outside and set it in the yard and looked at it through the dining room window until I got my nerve up. I poured it out very sloowwwwlllly. I couldn't remember if it was double based and had nitroglycerine in it or not and if it was gonna blow my arm off. I hadn't seen anything like that before.

In your case, depending on how much you have, and if you feel you need to keep it cool, instead of using ice why not the ice packs that you freeze beforehand. Or like we country folk do, freeze a couple of two liter drink bottles and throw them in there. If the lid stays shut tight the packs and those solid blocks of ice (drink bottles) usually last a good while.

Your post got me thinking about powder being shipped around the world. Some of your Hodgdon powder is made in Australia and shipped to the States. All our powder comes from either the USA, Australia or Sweden. Out of interest I phoned one of the major NZ powder importers and was told that the powder is shipped in a standard shipping container. All the powder coming from the USA or Sweden has to sail through the Tropics to get to NZ so I doubt 4 or 5 days in a cooler chest will hurt it at all.

Put it in a dry plastic tub, wrap a few blankets around it and keep the direct sunlight off of it...
Plywood or some sort of material...

So long as it stays dry it will be good...

Just imagine the temps of powders in the shipping vans or cubes,,, -40 to + 140F at times I'm sure... The hottest trailer doors we popped open in a desert was 158 F sitting in the 44 F desert sun for 8 hours... Ha

Powder gets shipped all around the world in hot climates. Maybe I just don't know any better, but I'd put it in a cardboard moving box. Keep the top open and maybe the moving guys will put it in the big truck for you. They have been known to be pretty friendly and open to moving man items.

I would place it in a ice chest with bubble wrap protecting It and duct tape the chest to help hold the temperature as consistent as possible (Seal it to minimize air flow) and place it in the back/bed of the truck when traveling. Once you stop for the night take it with you to the room and then return it to the bed while traveling. Covering it with a couple of moving blankets would also help keep the temperature from the sun getting it hot.

The suggestion about selling it would also be a good idea if you could. You might not break even on the cost, but it would be easier.

J E CUSTOM
I think this is good advice. I'm in the midst of a move and what I did was go to Wallmart and bought 2 good quality storage tubs (about the size of laundry baskets) and put my powder, along with loaded rounds in the tubs. I was lucky in that I was able to store them in a climate controlled place during the 6 week transition. If practical, I'd put them in the truck and take them into the hotel room with you when you stop. Like others have said, your powder may have already been exposed to temp/ humidity fluctuations from the point of origin, so I wouldn't stress too much about it but do what you can to protect it if it's practical.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.