Moving targets

klemm

Looking for some info, videos, ways to practice engaging moving targets. More of a hitting running deer at close range 150 yards or in. Not really A long range question.

Growing up we had access to a shooting range that had moving targets set at 250m (Javelina) and 350m (Ram), they were set on a rail system and average speed was 30kph, which is almost 20mph. But I know that is not easy to set up.

To practice on moving targets I recommend dove, quail and duck hunting. Dove being the best option since that are going up to 55 mph and they are fun to shoot and even better to eat.

Rabbit hunting is another option, they are fast and fun to hunt. Not to mention they also taste great. I have a couple of friends who hunt hogs, they shoot the first one and then they all start running, and down they go one by one.

If you can get some shooting friends together and set up a rail system with a metal silhouette, that would work great for you.

Hope this helps

Jack rabbits are great. We built a berm on the ranch, put a target in the middle of a tire, hid behind the berm, rolled the tire out. It would roll about 15 yards then be visible to the shooter. As kids we stayed busy all day filling the tire down and then back up the hill.
careful wit shooting at a rolling (or non rolling) tire--youd be surprised what calibers will bounce or ricochet off of a tire with no air in it -- side wall shots will penetrate, but lots of shots off the tread will bounce or ricochet

Obviously location and game availability are critical to an answer. Once upon a time.....when we had an abundance of Jack Rabbits, they were great for practice. Running Jacks, from 20 to 70 or so yards in low sage brush where a good practice challenge.

Now..... it's a fairly steep hill, a 21" motocross motorcycle tire, with cardboard with painted center, taped, zip-tied, ect.. Have a trusting partner, "launch" roll, the tire down the hill. Multiple tires, with numbered targets, give more shooting time and less recovery/relaunch time! Hint: if you shoot just as your partner releases the tire......it's easier to make hits! :D memtb

careful wit shooting at a rolling (or non rolling) tire--youd be surprised what calibers will bounce or ricochet off of a tire with no air in it -- side wall shots will penetrate, but lots of shots off the tread will bounce or ricochet
Dad was a little concerned about that. We were always some distance off, and we were in the middle of 27,000 acres of private ground, so not too much concern for trespassers. The country was all steep rocky, just about every dang square inch. We learned early to be very aware of ricochet. Took a couple of beatings for bouncing .22 the wrong direction.

Are most of you guys swinging through

I use a swing through, very much the same as I shoot birds with a shotgun for the faster moving shots. I will release the trigger when the crosshair(or bead) hits front shoulder. While I will generally try to wait until the animal stops, for walking shots, I'll use a measured lead and release without stopping the rifle swing. I will pass on moving game at the longer ranges.

Are most of you guys swinging through

On a running deer, 150 yards is getting into "long range"! If you have a relatively smooth grade, then follow through would be my suggestion, which would probably be good for open country hunting. For timber/brush country, your shots would be more similar to shooting at a "flushed" Woodcock! Nothing can replicate that.....except a "flushed" Woodcock! Perhaps, a steep, rough downhill, at closer range with the tire could somewhat simulate a running deer in brush!

Shooting at a running "cat" squirrel is another form of good training. Trying to predict when he "pauses" near the end of a limb to make his jump, could help train you on a deer as he makes his run. The trick would be to be looking ahead in the deers flightpath! No leading and follow through here, just a "snap" shot at the pause....follow through if the deer is airborne! No matter the scenario, a challenge to be sure! memtb

Last edited:
My dad is the best shot on moving targets I know. I have observed him kill running deer but mostly jackrabbits. When I asked him how he got so good at hitting moving targets he told me that when he was a kid, he and his buddies would get old tires and cut out cardboard circles to put inside the tires. They would haul them to the top of a hill and take turns rolling them past each other. I thought this was a pretty clever idea and probably a lot of fun but have never taken the opportunity to do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.