most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

The best buy is probably the Savage no doubt. The most accurate factory rifle and I'm not going to talk rimfires because there are so many that hammer, who knows which is best. For centerfire rifles and I'm going to kick out PPCs and stick to hunting sized bores, this is LONG RANGE HUNTING.com, right? I strongly say its a tie between Steyr and Sako. These both shoot about as well as can be had in a rifle factory or otherwise.

I see the groups on the pages of this thread, I'm not going to knock anyone real hard, everyones proud of there guns, but a 1/2 MOA gun isnt really a contender. I've seen Steyr and Sako rifles in .308 and a few other calibers flat put them all in one hole. Hunting rifles. SSGs and TRGs are even more amazing. There are ringers to be found from Remington, Winchester, Kimber, Weatherby, Browning....any factory may produce a great gun, once in a while, but I've seen SO many of these Steyrs and Sakos shoot SO well and with any good ammo you put in it.

I'm a gunsmith and I build long range rifles so it pains me to say that its hard to build a custom gun to beat these factory guns. It can be done and sometimes cheaper but its darn tough. I love my Remingtons, Winchesters, Brownings and they all shoot well or they'd be gone, but my vote is for a tie between Steyr and Sako. I can't say one is more accurate than the other.

Thats a darn fine shooting 94. What is that, about 1 3/4"? Does it do it regularly? I'd hang on to that one. Good shooting on your part too.

Savage LRPV
SavageLRPV.jpg
IM001149.jpg
IM001150.jpg

I have to agree. My 9" twist LRPV in .22-250 would put 75g Hornady BTHP bullets into 5/8" at 200 yards out of the box early in the morning before the wind came up. It would frequently shoot into an inch at 300 yards.

That said, my two CZ527's (Hornet and .223) were pretty accurate out of the box as well and have really good looking bores and chamber throats.

Fitch

Thats a darn fine shooting 94. What is that, about 1 3/4"? Does it do it regularly? I'd hang on to that one. Good shooting on your part too.

Yes, 1 and 3/4 inches.
When the wind dies down I'll try another group, (which isn't very often, ) it was a little windy then. That was my first try at a group after my ladder testing, my best group was .531 at 100 yards during ladder testing.
I just got my scope a month ago so I am still getting used to using it; before I had a scope my best group was .833MOA at 300 yards.

I have had this rifle for around 30 years and am not going to sell it.

Thanks! :)

I am a fan of Sako. Anyone elso shoot them?

They are great hunting rifles. I own one in .222 and one in .338WM. They are still shooting very small, sub-MOA groups after thousands of rounds through them, without a single mechanical problem. I could not ask for any more than that. :)

Topshot,

I had heard a lot of good things about Sako's and that's why i bought one. Unfortunately, I got a lemon and it just went back to the factory for the second time. I've heard the older ones are better than the newer ones.

-MR

MontanaRifleman,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a Sako rifle. Mine are the older models.

Not sure why the new ones would be having problems. Cutting costs I supose to keep up with cheaper rifles?

Topshot,

Yea, I wonder if there is some cost cutting going on. Beretta bought out Sako a few years ago which makes me a little suspicious. To say their customer service is lacking is an understatement. Long waits on the phone and then passed off to someone else with more waiting and phone calls not returned.

The rifle, a Model 85 Finnlight, was in the factory for 2 1/2 months the first time and all they was to clean it, which is odd because I had it cleaned down to bare metal. You would think one of the first things they would do would be to borescope it. Then they shoot it and computer generate a target and send it back saying it's good. No real bullet holes. Not a happy camper here.

This time I sent them a 3 page letter along with my targets and will be making some calls to check on progress. I'll be letting the forum know about my results with Berreta. Rant over.

I'm glad you got some good ones. I've thought about looking for a M75. They are a very well made action and rifle.

-MR

Montana,

My Sako's are the S491 and L691 models. They are made like fine watches.

I don't ever see too many come up for sale on the second hand market. If you can get hold of a second hand one I would grab it.

I signed up on this forum just so I could share my opinion. My vote goes to Cooper. The Model 22 I have in 6BR shoots well under .5moa and I really haven't done any serious load deveoping yet. It shoots 58gr. V-max just as well as 70gr. Sierras.

Was reading in some magazine, couple months ago, that an organization bought new rifles and tested themall ant the Weatherby Vanguard, shot best out of the box. don't know how reliable these test were, but went and bought 7mm Remington Magnum in a Vanguard and it is awesome. Less than .5" 3 shot group at 100 yds.

I signed up on this forum just so I could share my opinion. My vote goes to Cooper. The Model 22 I have in 6BR shoots well under .5moa and I really haven't done any serious load deveoping yet. It shoots 58gr. V-max just as well as 70gr. Sierras.

I would have to agree. You cant get a better rifle for the money. Most will shoot well under the .5 MOA guarantee.

Having said that, most Senderos are not vey far behind and some will shoot as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts