most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

I have personally never cared much for the looks of Savage but I can't deny they typically perform better than all other factory rifles.

If we are talking cheap guns. Howa would easily be the winner in my book. If Howa came with a decent trigger I would put them right up near the top. Last Howa I bought I paid $330.00 + $200.00 Timney trigger = $530.00. Still much less than any other New gun I have and it shoots every bit as good if not better.

Re: Kimber

What's the story on Kimber's out of the box accuracy?

Kimbers will shoot, once they've been back to the factory to get tweeked. I've had 2 montana's (one would'nt eject, the other did'nt come with the redoil lug bedded-like advertised) Had a Kimber .22 SVT that the firing pin would'nt strike match ammo hard enough to ignite, have a Kimber .22 hunter that works and shoots great, but it does take some manipulation to get the clip to stay in. A pards kimber would'nt chamber factory ammo!

I would have to say, Savage. But, it's like driving a moped.........they're cool until you friends see you on one! I wish they did'nt have to be so ugly and the actions just feel cheap.

Savage or Tikka for me......Tikka barrels are much smoother than Savage...the bolt slides smooth as silk...exceptional trigger.....I have two Tikka 595s in 223 & 7-08 that are very accurate with my handloads...also two 6.5x55s in SS T3 series which are also very accurate for a $600 rifle out of the box...The T3 series are one pound lighter than the 595s....Savage rifles have a lot to offer also with a bigger selection of variations....hard to beat a Savage M12 in lam/ss in 9 twist 223 for a p/dog getter.....

Best for me to date is a Rem 700 5-R Milspec in 308 that I recently picked up. While doing work up loads, it never shot less than 1/2 MOA. Once I settled on a pet load, it has put 3 bullets in one ragged hole at 200 yds. This group measured .250 By far the best factory gun I've ever owned.

Best for me to date is a Rem 700 5-R Milspec in 308 that I recently picked up. While doing work up loads, it never shot less than 1/2 MOA. Once I settled on a pet load, it has put 3 bullets in one ragged hole at 200 yds. This group measured .250 By far the best factory gun I've ever owned.

Either the Remington 700 5R Milspec or the LTR are next on my list.

My friend owns a gun shop in East NC along the VA line. He has a sight in service that many people bring in their rifles and my hunting buddy does all the sighting in work. I go over and spend 30 days during deer season and I go with him to the range around 3 mornings a week and we take anywhere from 3 to a dozen rifles at a time. We take almost all the new guns sold in the shop. Both of us will attest that over all the Remington 700 has been the most accurate rifles out of the box with the Savage with the accu-trigger a close second. On occasion you will find one or two other makes individual rifles that will really shoot but over all the Remington 700 takes the top.

My friend owns a gun shop in East NC along the VA line. He has a sight in service that many people bring in their rifles and my hunting buddy does all the sighting in work. I go over and spend 30 days during deer season and I go with him to the range around 3 mornings a week and we take anywhere from 3 to a dozen rifles at a time. We take almost all the new guns sold in the shop. Both of us will attest that over all the Remington 700 has been the most accurate rifles out of the box with the Savage with the accu-trigger a close second. On occasion you will find one or two other makes individual rifles that will really shoot but over all the Remington 700 takes the top.

And that's why the majority of custom gun builders when not using a custom action will use a 700. It is also the most copied design.

Tikka and Savage

Tikka is an exceptional gun for the price. Savage makes shooters for sure, but ugly. Not that it matters.

I really wanted Weatherby to win! :p

The only rifle that I own that has shot a sub-moa group was my Eddystone... Which is the only rifle I actually had a real scope on...

I have owned remington, winchester, savage,ruger,and weatherby. Most of them shot under 1 inch at 100 yards. My 257 accumark was the most frustrating to get to shoot but with handloads i shoot under an inch at 300yds, and under 6in at 900, i love killin **** with that gun! For the money savage or remington you cant beat it, it depends on what you are using it for also, and what caliber.

And that's why the majority of custom gun builders when not using a custom action will use a 700. It is also the most copied design.

I think the reason gunsmiths like to build on the 700 is because it is the easiest to chuck up in a lathe. It's a simple round tube. I personally think they are rather flimsey and would never build a full custom on one. If I'm going to spend the money I want something state of the art.

Last edited:
I have a couple Rem 700 rifles that will flat out shoot!! One is a ADL in 30.06 and with the "right load" it will take the staples out of a target at 100yds, the other is a 7RUM BDL and after some "extensive range time and finally finding the right load" it is very! impresive. After all of that, I think what makes a factory rifle accurate is being able to shoot various ammo well right out of the box and not having to spend a lot of money and time in finding what it is going to take to make it shoot its best. I think if you put your time in with any rifle you find a load that it will shoot good. So as much as I like Remington if I were looking for a rifle that I was going to be given a box of shells for and I had to rely on it shooting well I would have to go with a Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.