Most accurate load for 300 weatherby

Peep22

I have a 300 weatherby and I have been working up loads for it. I am currently shooting a 200 grain accubond with 7828 powder. I was wandering if anyone has a really accurate load that I could try. Thanks

22, what kind of groups are you getting with the current load? Is the rifle a Vanguard or Mark V? Is the stock bedded?

I have good luck with 7828.
I also have good luck with heavier/longer bearing surface bullets.
Currently I been working with Hex coated 225 ELD -M bullets with 77 grains of IMR 7828. There were too many people at the range to set up my Chrony so I haven't tested velocity with this particular load. I'm guessing 2750-2850 range..
I did work up to 2970 fps at 78 grains the last time I was out. But it was hovering around 1 Moa so I went back and seated longer. Got it to about half Moa... This load is longer than my mag, so I load single shot.

I have found my best loads at longer than mag length, but also have found some at 3.5ish inches as well.

Have had 3 factory Mk V s (german P code, japan H code and USA S code) in 300 from early 1980s to present. They all liked RL22, MRP and RL 25 (depending on bullet weight) w/ neck sized Wby or Nosler brass, Fed 215 or WLRM primers, Hornady bullets. 7828 didnt produce consistently for me with that brass/primer combo in my rifles. Always keep at least 1 jug of the 3 powders on hand.

The groups I am getting are 3/4 to 1 inch at 100 yards. It is a weatherby vanguard. I have not shot it since I put on a mdt chassis that has aluminum bedding. I also added a precision armament m11 muzzle brake. I am curious if this will help. I am appreciating the load offers. If there are more ideas that would be great. Thanks.

22, you should realize improved accuracy with that stock. The 24" barrel will drop velocity a hair. See how your current load shoots and go from there. Good luck

Has anyone used the 215 Berger hybrid bullets in the 300 weatherby? Would like to get some good ideas on loads using these bullets. What powder and over length worked the best. Thanks.

I'll have to check my notes for length, but IMR 7828 with a fed 215 primer put me at 3000 fps. I'm thinking I worked up to 78 grains. Don't hold me to that, I'm away from my notes to verify.

Has anyone used the 215 Berger hybrid bullets in the 300 weatherby? Would like to get some good ideas on loads using these bullets. What powder and over length worked the best. Thanks.

Coincidentally, yesterday was at the range working with the 215 hybrid target and 300 wby.
The conditions were around 35*F-38*F +- 400' elevation, 10 mph tail wind.
RL 26 and RL 25 with Fed 215 and fresh Nosler Brass all loaded to 2.95" Base to Ogive (magazine length).
Initial loads 80 gr and 81 gr of RL 25 seemed to group best and 79gr and 80 gr of RL 26 seemed promising. Going up a grain with each powder, the group spread out. There seemed to be a little more room at the top with both powders, but i like to be at a node seemingly below max so i stopped there. The 2nd firing and 3rd firing of fresh brass are where best accuracty seems to fall with my 300 Wby. More work left.......

Wandering if anyone has used vihtavouri n570 powder with 215 Berger hybrid bullets in the 300 weatherby? I was thinking about trying this combination and wanted to see if anyone has used it and if so what load was the most accurate as far as how many grains of powder and the oval length. Thanks

I'm loading for the 300 WBY and have tried a few different loads, so far 78.2 grains of RE 26 and 200 Grain Nosler Partition is the best at a hair under 1 MOA - 4 shots. Surprisingly the 200 grain Accubond shot 4+" - 3 shot group with the same load??? My WBY rifle is a Remington 700 300 Weatherby Classic. Next best was 168 grain E-tips & Magnum powder ~ 1.5 MOA - about the same as I've gotten with 180 grain partitions. I'm using 215 primers in my WBY.
The stores I've visited in the big city don't carry 200 Grain Partitions - Grrrr.
I have a couple pounds of RE 22, I have not tried it though - looking for temperature insensitive powders. I've been preparing for a moose hunt in Alberta - moose are so tiny, so you need sub-MOA groups. My Rem 700 - 300 Win Mag shoots 220 grain Partitions 3/4" MOA - 4 shots. That will be my back up rifle.

I am starting to work loads for a 300 weatherby too. A gen 1 Vanguard.

So far 150gr Barnes TTSX over imr7828 show the best. 185gr Berger's over 7828 are next. The 210 Berger HVLD I think are not stabilizing and dont shoot well.

I have some 168gr TTSX over some H1000 and more 150gr TTSX sitting on the shelf ready to test.

I am going to try some 168gr HVLD and 180gr Accubonds too someday.

I've been shooting the 212 ELD-X over Retumbo the past couple seasons with great success, two elk and caribou. 7828 was my go to powder in the 180gr bullet range but velocity and accuracy were much better with Retumbo for the 212 gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts