Load for accuracy

It seems some people get hung up on velocity. They tend to post a great group and then a so so group and ask if they should go with the faster velocity even though it isn't as accurate. So, the advice given usually is to just stick with the most accurate group. I tend to get best accuracy at max case capacity (best velocity) but have a few rifles that shoot better at a lower node. For those rifles, I kept the slower/more accurate load.

It's almost like they are more astute loaders than others. I bet if they have the option of two identical accuracy loads, they will take the higher velocity load. But that is based on ignorant prejudice.

That's what I used to choose the Hammer Hunter Tipped 7mm 132 grain bullet for this year's hunting. I don't have to defend the choice. I can't.

Do the guys who question velocity and tell us they load for accuracy think we who go for velocity are not interested in accuracy?

Well….that certainly doesn't describe me! 😉 I try to get the highest velocity that I can get without sacrificing accuracy! However, there is one caveat….. I have a "hunting rifle" not a bench-rest rifle!

I have to determine if I'm willing to sacrifice a hundred or so fps (maybe 200 fps) for let's say hypothetically a 1/4 or 3/8" on 100 yard groups…..which I am not. In my particular situation…..that small difference in group size is insignificant in the distances that I'm will to shoot big game. However the extra velocity gains, though likely insignificant, may help with a misjudged crosswind! Your mileage may vary! 😉 memtb

addendum : As I only have one hunting rifle….this is a pretty easy decision to make! 😉

Last edited:
With hammers I push until I hit pressure. Back off just a tiny bit and see what its shooting speed wise. I've loaded enough of them I've mostly got the jump they like figured out. Then go shooting. Almost every time they shoot great. I won't give up any speed with hammers unless they don't shoot great at max load.

Do the guys who question velocity and tell us they load for accuracy think we who go for velocity are not interested in accuracy?
Definitely not. I feel that all of us are concerned with accuracy. Some of us are concerned with velocity as well. I've reloaded for years, but have learned a lot about reloading since I've joined this site. Now I don't consider myself an expert like a lot of the members on here nor do I consider myself as good shot. I personally don't worry about velocity, I do my best to develop a load that consistently gives me a good group and by that I mean in that 1/2 moa range. Then I get the velocity, verify at distance and I'm happy. That's me, but I have never figured that people pushing the velocity envelope were ignoring accuracy. They are just having more fun than than me and I personally respect them for all the work they put into their passion.

I try to get the highest velocity that I can get without sacrificing accuracy! However, there is one caveat….. I have a "hunting rifle" not a bench-rest rifle!
This ^^. You can always come back to a lower velocity load if needed but I wouldn't think of saying that's fast enough and I'm not trying anything faster!
I didn't realize Rich Coyle was such a common name.

This ^^. You can always come back to a lower velocity load if needed but I wouldn't think of saying that's fast enough and I'm not trying anything faster!
I didn't realize Rich Coyle was such a common name.
My computer had a problem and I had to re-register so I just took out the space between Rich and Coyle and registered as RichCoyle.

I tried to notify moderater to no avail. Certainly I am no techie.

My computer had a problem and I had to re-register so I just took out the space between Rich and Coyle and registered as RichCoyle.

I tried to notify moderater to no avail. Certainly I am no techie.

A shame that your problem couldn't be fixed and that you had to re-register! But…..we'll still know that it's you! 👍😁 memtb