More stable shooting bench or mat?

WEATHERBY460

I have a cabelas shooting bench with a caldwell lead sled.....will a shooting mat from like midway with a harris bipod be more accurate?

When i look thru my scope i see my target sway front to back...not sure whats causing that?

No it wont, and it might be harder for you. After you do load work, you should shoot rifle the way that you intend to in the field. I f that is with a bipod, then site in and practice that way.

There are very few benches that don't move. I have video off a concrete bench with channel iron legs poored into concrete that shows the bench move durring recoil. Most light weight protable benches are weak and wobbly. Now I am not saying the ground in the best for all instances, but I will say it is better than any portable bench as far as I am concerned.

I do all my load work, sight in and practice prone of a bipod and a good rear bag. Two days ago I put 5 into a .446" group at 200. I advise any hunter to learn to shoot prone off a bipod and rear bag and practice it.

You may find this interesting.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/importance-being-solid-91149/

PS: I strongly recommend you keep all mats out from under the bipod and the rear bag. I choose to just get dirty.

Jeff

Half a sheet of 3/4 plywood (full length 2'-30" wide) setting on a 2x4 Frame makes for a very stable, and easily portable prone shooting base set up on flat ground.

You can set up your lead sled, or you can bag the front end or use a bipod, and use a rear bag or monopod.

I've also seen similar rigs just set up across the bed of a pickup for a long range shooting platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.