Bench shooting

Russell123523

The last 5 years I've been using a Caldwell solo rest at the bench and I recently purchased a Remington awr 300 rum worked up a good load with n570 and 225 eldm which I was shooting off the solo rest after that I switched to a Caldwell front rest and sandbag next time out the gun was all over the place I could not fiqure out what happened after a few trips to the range I pulled the rifle tighter to my shoulder and I started grouping again I guess that rest gave me a bad habit of not holding the gun tight enough to my shoulder

When I started shooting my 300 RUM, I used an "Uncle Buds" bull bag , i think is the name. It really holds the rifle straight....there's not alot of left/right movement of the forend. With the Vais break the recoil isn't enough to cause flinching. When hunting, I just use a light grip on the forarm and it puts them at the same poi as off the bench....rsbhunter

I understand about "shoot like you hunt" theory, and after you've done load development and accuracy testing off off a rest and / or bags, it's the way to go. I still believe that you need to verify the accuracy of the rifle and load,(off the bench) making sure you are getting all of the potential out of both . Then you should practice off hand, sitting, bipod, etc, to check your accuracy potential in different situations.... rsbhunter

You need a super consistent rest to do load development without influencing the work with bad shooting. The sled type don't recoil right. The rifle should slide in recoil. I get we are all expert shooters, but 😂

I still want to remove as much shooter as possible. I use a pedestal rest with Protector front and rear bags. I also use powdered wax to help the stock slide.

My rear bag is spaced up so it fits my shoulder right.

Then it is about working on seating the rifle in the shoulder and pulling the trigger without driving the rifle. The best way to do this is to dry fire with different pressures until the crosshairs don't move. A 2 oz or 1lb trigger is easy to get right. My 2lb Timney takes some practice to get right.

You need a super consistent rest to do load development without influencing the work with bad shooting. The sled type don't recoil right. The rifle should slide in recoil. I get we are all expert shooters, but 😂

I still want to remove as much shooter as possible. I use a pedestal rest with Protector front and rear bags. I also use powdered wax to help the stock slide.

My rear bag is spaced up so it fits my shoulder right.

Then it is about working on seating the rifle in the shoulder and pulling the trigger without driving the rifle. The best way to do this is to dry fire with different pressures until the crosshairs don't move. A 2 oz or 1lb trigger is easy to get right. My 2lb Timney takes some practice to get right.
I do not want my rifle to slide in recoil I add around 1lb push or load to the bipod I want to see the round strike on paper also at 100 yards consist is the key sae grip load push sight picture and each and every loaded round must be the same for bench rest yes hunting long range not so much

The last 5 years I've been using a Caldwell solo rest at the bench and I recently purchased a Remington awr 300 rum worked up a good load with n570 and 225 eldm which I was shooting off the solo rest after that I switched to a Caldwell front rest and sandbag next time out the gun was all over the place I could not fiqure out what happened after a few trips to the range I pulled the rifle tighter to my shoulder and I started grouping again I guess that rest gave me a bad habit of not holding the gun tight enough to my shoulder
The heavier the recoil the tighter the hold or pin, into the forearm stop of the rest.