more range out of scope????

Sasquatch

I am using my rem 700 adl .30-06 to do some long range targetting. Currently I can adjust my zero out to 700 yards by turning the turret. this leaves me with 1/2 MOA before I top out with my scope. I have been using the mil-dots to shoot out to 1000 yards. I am wondering if there is a way I can make it so my original 100 yard zero is closer to the bottom range of my scope so that I have more room to adjust for the longer ranges.

I think leupold makes a LR base gives 20 minutes of elevation, Farrell,Badger and Lightforce plus some other also make tapered bases. Check with sinclairintl.com also brownells and midway.

sasquatch,
The recomended 20 moa base is a good option, but before you dive off into a 20 moa base, Id sugguest you see how much adjustment you have left below your 100yd zero. Ken Farrel has several bases under 20moa that may be a better match. If you have 25+ moa, go for it, if its less than 20, a 20moa base is going to put your closest possible zero further than 100.You might also think about the Signature rings from Burris. If you are using a 1 inch tube, the combinations of moa of avalable adjustment are nearly endless.
How many moa do you have under your 100yd zero?

Hi,

I've been using the Burris Signature with the inserts and I shoot out to 1000yds. What I like about the Signature rings is that with the plactic inserts, it doesn't leave any ring marks on the scope. I've been using these rings with my 338 Lapua Mag with no problems of holding zero. You can adjust up to 40 MOA with 1" rings and 20 MOA with the 30mm rings.

Catch you later,

wow, I hadn't checked the moa below my original zero yet. It was 41. I will try some of the rings that you all have suggested. Thanks a million for the help. In case anyone is wondering, I am just using a cheap BSA 6-24x44 with a 1" tube and I love it. the 1/8 moa is a little more precise than my buddies burris, and my view is just as clear.

If you get a set of the Burris rings that take the inserts, you will have to purchase a seperate box that contains the 20 MOA set of inserts or you will be limited to the ones that come with the rings. I think they come with the 0 MOA, 5 MOA, and 10 MOA inserts is all. But if you buy the 20 MOA set (I forget the part #), you can use them in rear, and the 10 MOA set in the front and get a total of 30 MOA slant. Place the -10 insert on the bottom in the front ring, +10 on top, then the +20 on the bottom of the rear ring, and -20 on top of that.

If you've never used these before, they're just a set of inserts with each set containing a + and a - of the same number. The +10 for example indicates that it is approximately .010" thicker than a "0" insert. So to keep the hole the same diameter for the scope, you must use the matching -10 insert, which is about .010" thinner. Same with the other inserts.

You want to cant the scope forward using the rings so you don't have to use the internal adjustment to do so, so the thickest of the inserts (+20 MOA) would go on the bottom in the rear, and ideally, you could use another set of 20 MOA in the front with the -20 MOA on the bottom there... the -10 MOA on bottom up front will probably be about right in your case. You may just start out using the +10 MOA on bottom in the rear and a -5 MOA on bottom in front for a total of 15 MOA, and you might easily get the adjustment you need from that without even buying the additional 20 MOA insert set.

I have used them and work very well.

Make sure you clean them good and get all the oil off.

If you have 41 MOA down suggest you set them up to get about 30-35 MOA and still leave that last 6 on the bottom. 3O-35 MOA on the top end will easily take you to 1000 plus.

You can also order directly frow www.brownells in either weaver style or dual dovetails.

BH

I went out and got the long range leupold base, since no one in town had the rings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif It gave me 15 MOA more to play with. I will probably go shoot it this weekend. Might still buy the signature rings just for that extra challenge for balloon popping distance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Im sure you will like the base, but I thought id better throw in this little thought on the rings. They all have differant thicknesses, but are sold that way ie. thickness, not moa gained. Here is a little chart showing possible moa with 0,15,20,and 30moa bases. Lines with stars are also avalable for 30mm rings.
shimvaluesmed.jpg

With a .020 in the back, and a inverted .020 in the front (.040 total) you will only get 24moa.
As you can see, with a long action like 30-06, some of the moa values quoted are a bit optimistic. Values gained change with ring spacing and the formula for calculating exact moa values is included at the bottom of the page. Measure rings outside to outside.

Leupold 20 MOA Base -> no good for hard kicking guns

Leupold told me not to use the 20 MOA base as it only takes their weak STD Rings (for any of my RUMS).
I was going to get the Burris 30mmm Signature Scope ***-Align Gunsmith Kit Offset Inserts Midways Burris Kit but Midway only lists the 1" kit. Then I decided to wait for the new Burris Xtrem Rings and use Burris shims to get my CANT.
tacticalrings1.gif

Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings

Re: Leupold 20 MOA Base

leupold also makes the dovetail base in the long range selection. this is what I bought. you might want to try it for you UM.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.