Scope out of windage during zeroing

Stephen Orleski

Hi all, I searched the forums but could not find anything like this. I bought a new Sightron Stac - 30mm 4-20x50 scope for my rifle. I got the vortex tactical high rings, 1.18 inches. I mounted it on a ruger gunsite scout (not in scout config) Where I hunt everything comes out 10 minutes before dusk.. and so I tried a scout scope but it did not cut it for seeing legal deer here in TX.

So anyway, I used a ring alignment tool and even slightly lapped the rings. Used the wheeler scope level kit to get the scope as level as I could (my eyesight is still 20/20, so it was pretty much dead on). Well, I put in a bore sight and I immediately noticed the red dot was way to the right at about 20 yrds. I knew right off that didn't seem correct. I mounted a bunch of scopes, included a NF ATACR which I proceeded to hit steel at 1500 yrds with.

Anyway, as I suspected I ran out of left windage trying to zero the scope/rifle. The best I could do, at 30 yrds I was still 2 inches right.

I bought the scope on amazon, and I returned it, but have never had to use spacers or other tweaks to get a scope to line up. Do y'all think it was a bad scope? In their manual, they specifically say, if you have to adjust more than 25% during sight in, then check rings. I found it strange for that to even be there. Could it be the rings?

I put my old vortex diamondback 4-12x42 back on.. and have yet to sight it in, but I do not expect problems, took 2 deer last year with it. I've heard a lot of good reviews on sightron and wanted to try one. Maybe I picked a bad model?

2 questions:
Did all of this windage error happen with the bore sighter or did you confirm the misalignment w/ shooting?

Am I correct that you hit a target @ 1500 yds w/a Gunsite Scout rifle?

2 questions:
Did all of this windage error happen with the bore sighter or did you confirm the misalignment w/ shooting?

Am I correct that you hit a target @ 1500 yds w/a Gunsite Scout rifle?

LOL... No, not 1500 with a Gunsite, that is a different rifle/scope setup. That was a 300 Win Mag.. 5R rem 700 in an AI AX chassis. Hit 3 consecutive on a 20x30 IPSC.. human shaped steel..

I did verifiy with shooting, not only bore site. It started about 6-8 inches out (to the right) at ~25yrds with the bore site. Then I moved the windage all the way to the left, the laser bore site then showed about 2 inches off. So I decided to start shooting at 30 yrds, on paper I was ~2 inches out at 30, and had no more adjustment. I unmounted the scope, looked over the rings, remounted everything a 2nd time, and still the exact same.. hitting basically the same spot.. I sent it back..

Does the ring placement on the scope have any effect. I am about middle between the turrets and the rear and front objectives, probably lean towards the objectives. I read someone mounted them on the narrow side and was able to solve the issue.

I had the same problem with my win 300 mag with a Bushnell banner scope with weaver mounts. My gun is a model 783 Rem. I took it to the local gunsmith and he told me it could be the bases. He took the weavers off and put on a set of Leupold bases problem solved. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.