Need more elevation out of my Nightforce,what are my options?

KQguy

I have a Savage,with a 5.5x22x50 scope.I have 31 moa of elevation left on the bottoom,that I cannot use.I am using Nightforce rings and bases,and I have a 20moa rear base,but still have too much unusable adjustment on the bottom.I probably need to stick with Nightforce rings and bases,because I have their ACI/ anti cant ,and want to keep using it.Night force only goes up to 20moa rear bases,so I was wondering what I could do to get more out of my scope?Is there anyone making 40 moa bases for the savage that will work with my Nightforce rings?

I am shooting a 7mmWSM,and I can't quite get out to a mile.The range I shoot at has some pretty long shot's,that I would like to be able to make.I have almost $2000 wrapped up in my scope/base combo,and I would like to get more out of it than I am now.

You can stick with your 20 moa base just get some Burris Sig. rings and the polymer inserts that are sold separately. Just put +10 in the rear and -10 in the front for a total of 40 moa.

I have a Savage,with a 5.5x22x50 scope.I have 31 moa of elevation left on the bottoom,that I cannot use.I am using Nightforce rings and bases,and I have a 20moa rear base,but still have too much unusable adjustment on the bottom.I probably need to stick with Nightforce rings and bases,because I have their ACI/ anti cant ,and want to keep using it.Night force only goes up to 20moa rear bases,so I was wondering what I could do to get more out of my scope?Is there anyone making 40 moa bases for the savage that will work with my Nightforce rings?

EGW makas an adapter which will go on top of an existing Picatinny rail and give anther 20MOA. Probaly not as nice as a custom 40 MOA rail but should do the job if you don't mind the total scope height. EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated 3" Extended Riser Mount AR-15 Flattop Matte - MidwayUSA

Just curious, but does the 7mmWSM have the capacity to keep a heavy 7mm round going supersonic at that distance?

Thanks!

There are a few adaptors that are made for AR's that will go on top of your EGW rail mount. But that gets the scope up a little high. I like the Burris rings. Right now they only have +/- 10 inserts so 20 is the most you can get out of the ring itself for a total of 40 moa.

Edit: Looks like LouBoyd beat me to the submit button.

Last edited:

I shot a mile last week with my 338 edge,,,I also have a 5.5 by 22 night force...I have 20 minutes built into my bat action and I still ran out of MOA.

So I simply used the stadia lines....10 moa is half way and 20 is all the way and at 20 you get a pretty good line to zero in on. We shot 1,971 yards and the 20 moa line in the glass was enough. Each line is 1 moa and they are pretty accurate when you are running out of room on the turrets.

kz

Topbrass the 7 wsm shooting a heavier bullet like 180gr berger should keep supersonic up to 2000 yds depending on your location.

Just curious, but does the 7mmWSM have the capacity to keep a heavy 7mm round going supersonic at that distance?

Thanks!

There are a few adaptors that are made for AR's that will go on top of your EGW rail mount. But that gets the scope up a little high. I like the Burris rings. Right now they only have +/- 10 inserts so 20 is the most you can get out of the ring itself for a total of 40 moa.

Edit: Looks like LouBoyd beat me to the submit button.

I watched a guy shooting a Dasher at the mile compition of the 2008 IBS 1000 nats at Thunder Valley!!! If I remember correctly, he did OK!!! I have not done the whole computer thing, but my guess is that the 7 WSM with the 180 Bergers or the 180 JLK would be fine at a mile.

Thanks. I havent run the number either. I just saw the specs and it looked like it would be close.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.