Montana x-bows illegal

Back when I started bow hunting multiple pin sights were very common. The local range I practiced at had a 3d range and one of the regulars was a man named Leroy Cisco. He would help anyone who was learning, wanting to improve or struggling. I had a Hoyt Havoctec and some 5 pin sight, I think Trophyridge. He asked a couple of questions and then pulled 3 of the pins off my sight. We set one at 20yds and the other at 35yds. He said anything past that was beyond mine and the bows capabilities. I kept that bow until I destroyed my rotator cuff in an accident at the farm.

Even as broadheads and arrows improved I kept those 2 pins and I killed deer and even pigs from a treestand. I had some failures with pigs outside of the 35yd boundary, I knew they were solid hits and they would eventually die but they just didn't die immediately.

People are the issue, everyone, myself included are at some point over confident in our abilities and that is when the failure or disconnect happens.

Those 2 pins and those failures taught me a lot about myself and restraint. Better to marginalize your ability than to be over confident.

Back when I started bow hunting multiple pin sights were very common. The local range I practiced at had a 3d range and one of the regulars was a man named Leroy Cisco. He would help anyone who was learning, wanting to improve or struggling. I had a Hoyt Havoctec and some 5 pin sight, I think Trophyridge. He asked a couple of questions and then pulled 3 of the pins off my sight. We set one at 20yds and the other at 35yds. He said anything past that was beyond mine and the bows capabilities. I kept that bow until I destroyed my rotator cuff in an accident at the farm.

Even as broadheads and arrows improved I kept those 2 pins and I killed deer and even pigs from a treestand. I had some failures with pigs outside of the 35yd boundary, I knew they were solid hits and they would eventually die but they just didn't die immediately.

People are the issue, everyone, myself included are at some point over confident in our abilities and that is when the failure or disconnect happens.

Those 2 pins and those failures taught me a lot about myself and restraint. Better to marginalize your ability than to be over confident.

Very well said, Darryle.
Thank you for posting that.

Years ago I was working in Ohio and 1 of the union guys from the area asked me if he could bring his bow to the site and hunt, "sure", I said. It was public land and I didn't really know local regs so I figured if it's legal, I'm good with it. He shows up the next day with a crossbow and I laughed, "I thought it was archery season?!" He says it is and that u can use a crossbow! I about crapped my pants, he was saying it's the same thing and what's the difference? I told him.... well, first there's the scope, then there's the tripod, then there's a way faster bolt, then the much longer distances one can shoot...then.... then.... then... the list goes on. lol, most xbow hunters use a tripod which takes ability (insert child pulling trigger once pointed/locked) and target panic/adrenaline out of the equation. Of course it's not the same.... or people wouldn't be trying to do it as an advantage. Anyone who thinks there is not an advantage is only trying to fool themselves. Not saying it wouldn't be fun to try, but in MHO it's more similar to a rifle than a bow in terms of sight, trigger and hold than it is to archery and absolutely an advantage over compound bow archery. As compound archery is over traditional, as xbow is over compound, as BP is over xbow, as rifle is over BP. It's a clear advantage without any sane question. I hope they don't add the ability to shoot off a tripod for adults due to the insane advantage during archery season. I know there are big fans of Xbow that would love to hunt, just not during archery. Maybe the last week before rifle or something, I don't know but there's a clear advantage and we already have TONS of people out enjoying the archery season.

If you are within the regulations of the area you are hunting, why not use a Xbow? If you are purist, use a long bow or recurve. There is nothing wrong with either approach. I know people that do nothing but bow hunt in all the seasons. However, they don't frequent long range hunting forums.

I dont care to talk on the phone, I guarantee you physically you got nothing on me.
Were theres a will theres a way. PERIOD!!
so you won`t call me ? whats the problem ? if your not going to talk to me on a phone and you still want to post crap are you and many others just butt hurt compound bowhunters who are worried some old guy with health problems will still do better hunting in archery season than a younger resident compound archer does ? really ? that is sad / sick thinking that way , so now go ahead post some more crap with your keyboard tuff guy posts. its funny but someday you boys will be in the same shape at 70 years old and will there be whining then .

so you won`t call me ? whats the problem ? if your not going to talk to me on a phone and you still want to post crap are you and many others just butt hurt compound bowhunters who are worried some old guy with health problems will still do better hunting in archery season than a younger resident compound archer does ? really ? that is sad / sick thinking that way , so now go ahead post some more crap with your keyboard tuff guy posts. its funny but someday you boys will be in the same shape at 70 years old and will there be whining then .
All that is going on with the crossbow is exactly how Judge Christensen views. The request he viewed as making the hole in golf bigger to accommodate a select few.

One question for you how does the PTMAE not accommodate you? The PTMAE has been proven in the past by the courts that it does accommodate those that need it. So don't say it doesn't accommodate a certain population.

In the past I've wanted to dunk a basketball, but was unable too. Why didn't they lower the hoop height to accommodate me? Same thing changing the goal post for a select few will have nothing but a negative impact moving forward. Look at what has recently taken place with crossbows in Minnesota.

Problem is I would have to listen to you **** and moan about " your disability "
I'm soon 63 4 shoulder surgerys in, torn rotator cuff again bone on bone and full of arthritis and was told no surgery to fix it wasn't worth it untill they replace my left one with a reverse shoulder replacement.
5 bulging disc's and arthritis in my back. You wanna cry,cry cry because montana won't let you come from Minnesota to hunt with a crossbow in Archery season GIVE ME A FUGGING BREAK!! stay in Minnesota you can hunt with a crossbow now!!
Its not about being any internet tough guy im 7 years younger and I guarantee you your **** shoulders are no worse than mine probably better but instead of ****ing and moaning I find away to go enjoy myself just like I did this weekend with my son in law and grandson.
You act like a 8 year old throwing a temper tantrum instead of a supposed grown 70 year old adult.
Anytime you wanna see what a true disability is ill let my wife show you what wheel chair bound non- verbal children have to put up with every single day, just let me know.
You should thank God everyday you can just get out in the woods still, because there's plenty that can't.

Last edited:
in Montana x-bows are illegal to hunt with during the archery season for everyone . as a handi -cap person with a valid doctor permit for Montana i still am not allowed to use a x-bow during archery season. i did purchase a draw lock system for my compound bow but that is very difficult to carry in the mountains and the draw lock is legal in Montana but its a real joke for a handi -cap person to carry and use. Montana bowhunters association is against people with a disability ,i wonder if that is even legal in America to be against handi-cap people like that ? any attorneys out there ? it might be some easy money ?
If crossbows didn't exist, would you be arguing that you should be able to use a rifle during archery season?

I'm near sighted. Colorado doesn't allow the use of scopes on muzzleloader during muzzleloader season. Am I being discriminated against?

just remember someday you so called semi-pro great compound bow archery hunters will get old and or handi-capped will see how that works for you then ,oh will there be whining then ! the big problem is you boys know the age thing is coming for you so are you just staying home then ?
If/when I get to that point I hope I've taught my kids enough that they will be doing it and I will go sit on a ridge come rifle season and go about it that way.

I really can't believe this thread is still going. Did you ever come to Montana to hunt with your draw-lock device?