Waxing bow strings

IDbound

My PSE TAC 15i has been sitting in its case, unused for probably 5 years. Now that I have spotted a nice buck that I don't want to lose before rifle season, I thought about getting my old crossbow out and start practicing. Is it safe or do I need to have it re-strung? Would waxing the strings make a difference?

Is it compound? What material are the limbs made of?
If the limbs are wood then I would suggest you go careful or maybe have an archery shop look at it.
otherwise I would wax the string and try cocking it, if all seems well just shoot it.

Best to have it checked at your local bow shop! If you ever had a string break when you have a big buck in your sight pin and it snaps (and after you wake up???) you won't have to ask anyone ever again

Wonder what happened? OP was in 2020. Not making fun of you Hal, I have certainly reacted to old posts myself. IF OP is still with us, would be nice to know what he did with his bow and if he got the deer. If not, bet that is a monster buck now.

I forgot I posted that since 4 years have passed. Still have the bow. It is the type I believe that uses an AR lower. Still in the case. I tried selling it but didn't have any luck. Almost afraid to try shooting it now.