X-Bow Targets

bryanvin

Hi all, new to the forums here, and crossbow hunting in general. Currently using the tac 15i and am loving it. Changing out the trigger to the Timney was a snap, and so was putting on the drop away rest, if you're thinking about switching.

Anyways, dialing the bow in and tuning it have been a breeze, with the exception of one thing. Removing the bolts from the targets. I am currently using my regular archery block targets with a dd archery puller and it is quite a pain in the neck removing them.

I suppose I will need two targets, one for field points and another for broad heads. I am thinking about getting the sypder web target for field points, and have no idea for a good broad head target. Durability and easy arrow removal are my two biggest desires, obviously what everyone wants in a good target.

Was just wondering what others are using? What seems to be working well and what should be avoided?

Hi bryanvin,
Most TAC owners have found it absolutely necessary to own two targets to cover the bases between field points and broadheads.

After almost 3,000 shots and testing just about everything I could think of that needed testing, I still have the same two targets and they are both in excellent shape. Although I would rate the Spyder Web as the single best, all around field point target in the industry, just be aware that it can be on the expensive side. If you're going to be shooting at longer distances, such as 70 to 100 yards, you will need a larger target for safety to insure your shots don't miss the target. For this, the Spyder Web 2.0 would be the minimum size I would recommend.

I use and have great luck with the Morrell Bone Collector Outdoor Range Target. It's a bag style target that is about 29" x 30" in size and is designed to stop 400 + fps arrows. Arrow removal is so simple even a child can pull the arrows. The cost is much cheaper than the Spyder Web and since it's much larger, it works well for distance shooting.

Now for the bad news, there are only two broadhead targets that I'm aware of that are actually designed to stop broadhead arrows moving at over 400 fps. One is the Block Black and the other is any of the Rhinehart series targets. I personnally use the Rhinehart Rhino Brute XL target because of its larger size and the manufactures warranty that states that if you can shoot it out in a year or less, anywhere, so that it won't stop your arrows, they will replace it at no cost to the owner.

That said, since all broadhead targets designed to stop a broadhead arrow use friction against the arrow shaft to do so, they are all very difficult to remove your arrows. What I've learned to do, is to shoot 3 or 4 arrows at different spots on the target and then turn the target on its back, stand on it with my feet and then pull out my arrows using two hands and pulling straight upwards.
Once the arrows begin to move and break the friction bond, they come out the rest of the way easily. The whole secret is in initially breaking the friction bond around the shaft.

I've heard the Block Black is even more difficult to remove arrows which was one of the reasons why I opted for the Rhinehart target.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Regards,

Jon

Hey Jon, thanks for the input here, as well as with the serving advice in the other thread.

I am going to head to my dealer this weekend, hes got both the morrell and spyder web targets, so either way ill be coming home with one of them. As far as the broadheads go, I'm still up in the air... I've never been a big rinehart fan, but you're right, not many alternatives out there.

Found this post in a different forum... Crossbow Magazine Forum • View topic - Big Shot Targets

Looks like this target shows some promise, still not out on the market yet though, so time will tell...

Hi bryanvin,
I looked at the add in the website you provided, but I was unable to determine if the target is a broadhead or field point only target? It does look like it would be able to stop crossbow arrows at high velocities, but without more information it's hard to assess things like arrow removal.

Len Backus has some fairly good recommendations in his TAC15 evaluation articles. We've seen to many cases where a manufacturer claims their targets will stop 400 + fps arrows, but testing has showed us a different story. Other will stop the arrows, but removal is a nightmare. Still other will stop the arrows, but they develop soft spots too quickly and need to be replaced.

The ones that Len, Super 91 an I have recommended in numerous articles represent the best of breed in the target world so far, so you can't go wrong with any of them and they'll all do the job.

One of the big problems with the broadhead targets is; with all the problems that we're having trying to stop and remove these arrows from the couple of targets that are available, what are they going to use to stop the next generation of crossbows that are shooting at between 450 and 500 fps???

Even if they invent a target that will stop the broadhead arrows, we'll never get them back out of the targets with that much speed. Don't think for a minute that it's that far fetched because crossbows with that type of speed have already been designed. They are already finished on the design boards and one has already been produced by a custom maker, but the others aren't very far behind. Currently, they are price prohibitive for most people pocketbooks, so nobodies moving forward until they believe there's a market for them and there are materials to make shooting them viable.

Jon

Hi

I shoot my Tac15i at 100yds + at my Archery Club "Raydon Hall AC" and have to use 2 WhiteTail Bosses to prevent pass through if I hit a Soft Spot.

Having tried all the normal Arrow Pullers, it helps that the Club is run by Tony and Suzanne of "Perris Archery", I went back to my Climbing Days and tried a Prussic Loop.

Unlike normal Pullers which require you to Grip and Pull, the Loop only needs the Pull, getting tighter the harder you Pull,

All that is required is about 4ft of Soft Nylon Rope and 10 minutes to learn the Knot.

If you have 4 - 5" of Shaft visable before the Fletchings, you can Pull it.

Hi Les1580,
I've never seen or hea rd of this puller knot before, but it does sound very useful.

Is there anyway you could either make a u-tube video and supply a link or diagram the steps so other members could learn how to make one?

When TAC 15 arrows with Broadheads get stuck in the targets they usually only penetrate about 8-10 inches, but they become friction welded to the synthetic high density foam, so this might be perfect for getting them free.

Please let me know how we can learn how to make one of these pullers?

Thanks,

Jon

I really like the Prussic Loop Idea, sounds like a cheap and easy way to pull arrows...The knot is not difficult at all... If you search youtube for prussic loops, it should return many results.

I'm currently using a great arrow puller by Double D archery... It has a "T" handle on it making arrow pulling much easier... Here's a link to there site... Double D's Archery Products ... They're charging $32.50, which sounds like a ton for an arrow puller, but it definitely makes the task much easier, and helps to pull the arrow out straight to avoid bending shafts...

Thanks Bryanvin.

$32.50 isn't to bad when you consider how much these arrows cost per dozen and then there's the 15 to 20 hours of work that goes into the build and balancing process before I have a good useable set of arrows.

Jon

Hi All

My 1st attempt at adding a YouTube Link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol6WsVmkGFc]How to Tie Knots: Vol 2 : How to Tie a Prusik Knot - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU-5WBO-35M]Prusik knot - learn this knot in less than 1 minute - YouTube[/ame]

Hope these help

Cheers

Les

I have tried several targets and the BIG GREEN has the best target. It makes two different targets , one for field tips and one for broadheads. Try one and you will be sold. The arrow removal will surprise you with extreamly easy removal.

Hi DJRSR,
I haven't heard of Big Green, so they're a new maker to me. I have two questions about their targets; the first is can you give me an idea of what sizes their targets are available in and secondly, are you also stating that Broadhead removal from their Broadhead Target is also easy?

If so, you may have certainly found a winner!

All other broadhead targets that will actually stop shots from the TAC15/15i crossbows are rather difficult to get the arrows back out of.

Regards,

Jon

The BIG GREEN target has been around for a while. The arrow removal with a broadhead is surprisingly easy. As for the sizes there are several to chose from. Many of the archery stores carry it. I got mine at a local shop but they are on e-bay. It is the only target I will use.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.