Montana x-bows illegal

my legs , arms and back are fine its my left shoulder is real bad and i had surgery too already, i would never go out there unless my son is with and he is very fit and young. my other problem is i am 70 years i don`t have many years left to handle the mountains , i have many friends in Montana and a free place to stay with a great friend who also can help us. the friends all agree its a very foolish law with politics and like i have posted i hunt Federal land we are all Americans so we should all be able to use it . the law about the draw lock system is a horrible bow combo think to try and carry for anyone basically its a joke to keep the healthy bowhunters happy. even some of the game wardens in Montana think its foolish.

I am on the fence on this one. In many ways I would much rather see people use X bows considering all of the lost and wounded animals i have seen from bow hunters. Many Maine guides wont offer hunts to bow hunters because the kill/shot rate stinks. Maybe that would change if more used X bows

I am on the fence on this one. In many ways I would much rather see people use X bows considering all of the lost and wounded animals i have seen from bow hunters. Many Maine guides wont offer hunts to bow hunters because the kill/shot rate stinks. Maybe that would change if more used X bows
OR if people didn't take shots farther than they should. Too far with a x bow will be the same result.

I disagree based on the fact I see way to many x-bow hunters take shots way to far. Although I'm pushing 70, and I set up and provide ballistics for x-bows, they have a number of down sides to them. Follow up shots are basically gonna be nonexistent. With a bow, one can release a number of shots before a x-bow can be reloaded. On top of that, they're all loud. I don't have any issues with someone who has medical issues hunting with a x-bow during archery season, but to me that in itself is a handicap!

It is always interesting to read people's perspectives. Many bring up too many wounded animals by hunters taking shots that are unwise. This happens regardless of the weapon being used. It is always the person's fault, not the platform. Montana has the right to set the hunting regulations and enforce them. I agree with muddyboots that the only way to change this is to put in the work. I too believe that Xbows should be an option for anyone with a disability or at an age class where vertical bows are not feasible. It's difficult enough to just have an opportunity to hunt. We need to keep this reachable for the young, old and disabled.

Last edited:
We are bringing this up again? He can hunt with a x-bow in the regular season. NOBODY is allowed to use it in the bow season.
He is out of state. It is NOT for me or HIM to decide what they do in Montana, but for Montana citizens. He wants to change it? Move there, and start a campaign.

We are bringing this up again? He can hunt with a x-bow in the regular season. NOBODY is allowed to use it in the bow season.
He is out of state. It is NOT for me or HIM to decide what they do in Montana, but for Montana citizens. He wants to change it? Move there, and start a campaign.
This is 100% true. The O.P. has been try to rally the troops for his cause across many forums. Its all ********!!
I've had 3 surgeries on my left and bone on bone now and facing a replacement soon. Just had my right one operated on in May 2022 and not far behind my left.
I get out there and do plenty of hunting I find a way to get it done instead of whine poor is me.

Typical out of state people trying to change ****. Don't like it were there at so wanna change a state to suit them.
F THAT!!!!

TWOLF anytime you wanna compare MRI and surgery reports p.m me an email and I will send you you my last 4 ive had in the last 2 years along with the one about arthritis in my back.
SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP OR STAY HOME.

TWOLF anytime you wanna compare MRI and surgery reports p.m me an email and I will send you you my last 4 ive had in the last 2 years along with the one about ar
TWOLF anytime you wanna compare MRI and surgery reports p.m me an email and I will send you you my last 4 ive had in the last 2 years along with the one about arthritis in my back.
SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP OR STAY HOME.
give me your phone number we can compare ????????

my legs , arms and back are fine its my left shoulder is real bad and i had surgery too already, i would never go out there unless my son is with and he is very fit and young. my other problem is i am 70 years i don`t have many years left to handle the mountains , i have many friends in Montana and a free place to stay with a great friend who also can help us. the friends all agree its a very foolish law with politics and like i have posted i hunt Federal land we are all Americans so we should all be able to use it . the law about the draw lock system is a horrible bow combo think to try and carry for anyone basically its a joke to keep the healthy bowhunters happy. even some of the game wardens in Montana think its foolish.

So, it's been 2 years that we've been hearing about this. Has there been any actual progress made or are we just beating a very dead horse?
I haven't read every page and I dont intend to, but please update us on your lawsuit?

For what it's worth, I have a very dear friend in a situation very similar to yours. He hunts Wyoming.
There, was THAT so tough???

If I thought that letting disabled hunters use a crossbow would be the end of the discussion I'd be on board but you and I both know it would never end there.

So, it's been 2 years that we've been hearing about this. Has there been any actual progress made or are we just beating a very dead horse?
I haven't read every page and I dont intend to, but please update us on your lawsuit?

For what it's worth, I have a very dear friend in a situation very similar to yours. He hunts Wyoming.
There, was THAT so tough???

If I thought that letting disabled hunters use a crossbow would be the end of the discussion I'd be on board but you and I both know it would never end there.
I can't speak on the lawsuit. They again brought it before the legislature this past spring. It again got killed.

I dont care to talk on the phone, I guarantee you physically you got nothing on me.
Were theres a will theres a way. PERIOD!!