Montana Rifle Company : Your Opinions

Jack Hoyt

I have a custom 300 WM that I love and have shoot to 1,100 yds. I now want a "high end production" or "semi custom" rifle with a little less kick that would also work for deer hunting and target shooting. Thinking of getting a Montana Rifle Company Extreme X2 in 6.5 Creedmore. Either get the entire gun from them or a barreled action and have my gunsmith build it out to my specs. Looking for the best BANG for the buck under $1,500.00. Thank you!

Jack Hoyt,

Here is a thread from one of the other forums above:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/rifle-bedding-question-174391/

Given the pictures of the bedding, at most I would suggest the barreled action only and let a good gunsmith do the rest.

I have used several of the MRC actions, both from Brian when he owned it and now these folks. They aren't perfect but require some adjusting in my opinion. I will not use the barrels at all. Bartlein is my primary for virtually all barrels although I think Gary Schneider makes an excellent M40 barrel in 30 cal.

I would urge you to read these articles then look at the big sale going on at Euro Optics:

Tikka T3 – Not Only For Hunters.. A Viable Match Option. | Sin City Precision

Tikka Shows Off New T3x Rifle at NRA 2016 - The Firearm Blog

Tikka T3 Rifle - Hunter - Sporter - Varmint - EuroOptic.com

The Tikka T3 or the new T3x should be better than what you will get from MRC. They are available in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Regards.

Thank you for the info. I am familiar with Tikka and Howa. The T3x with the adjustable stock would work well. I wonder when the new T3x will be for sale? Not on market yet. Thanks

JH, my friend has a new Montana in 300RUM we loaded 6 test loads with 215 Bergers to mag length. After sighting in, test load #3 shot a .335 5 shot group. This group was the 36th thru 41st shots down the barrel since new. He's going out to 500 next trip. Nice rifle.

I have a custom 300 WM that I love and have shoot to 1,100 yds. I now want a "high end production" or "semi custom" rifle with a little less kick that would also work for deer hunting and target shooting. Thinking of getting a Montana Rifle Company Extreme X2 in 6.5 Creedmore. Either get the entire gun from them or a barreled action and have my gunsmith build it out to my specs. Looking for the best BANG for the buck under $1,500.00. Thank you!

I've only had one, but based on that on, I would buy another without hesitation.

Here's the range report:

Montana Rifle Company XWR Range Report | Hunting Rifles | 24hourcampfire

Shot great and loved the way it fed.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.