Money...

I always thought you have a lot of toys yourself. I get addicted to things and go overboard. I usually shoot at my range cause it close and I can be in and out without any hassle. I'm set up for 300 yards now and just have not had time to pull the last few stumps and move my backstop for 400. It's shoot able now but not ideal. And it's an armlght 50. Nothing fancy though I do want a Barrett just not sure how much I would use it. I'm gonna be a bit busy till spring with work and hunting but if the weather holds we need to have some fun.

Nothing wrong with Armalites! Now that you've owned a .50, any regrets? Or do you agree with others to just get something more reasonable?

My wife is a photographer and has some high end cameras/lenses. I was thinking sometime this winter while there is snow cover, it would be fun to get some 12 gauge Dragon's Breath rounds and capture some nice pics!

Engineer,

I have seen you come a long ways on this forum in just a short time. Seems you are tirelessly working to make a collection of factory guns better and better by reloading, bedding, you name it. You even fixed up a mosin nagant pretty darn nice. May have missed it, but I don't think you have a really nice full blown custom...

IMHO, I think you should order yourself a very nice full blown long range rifle. GAP, R Brothers, Backus? Your choice. Don't get a 50, get a 300 Win mag and get reamer specs from Broz for it to shoot the 215s or something.

What would I get? A Edge +P would be very cool and slay any dragon in North America. gun)

I really know very little about anything between the 338 calibers and the 50 cals. I did some research on the 416 Barrett a while back. But it didnt take long to figure out that round isn't very feasible to reload for. Bullets exists for the 416 that have a BC over 1.XX. Apparently no one can actually buy them though? That's just from memory. I could be completely wrong.
There are some very high BC custom bullets out there for the .416 but they are indeed pricey.

Engineer,

I have seen you come a long ways on this forum in just a short time. Seems you are tirelessly working to make a collection of factory guns better and better by reloading, bedding, you name it. You even fixed up a mosin nagant pretty darn nice. May have missed it, but I don't think you have a really nice full blown custom...

IMHO, I think you should order yourself a very nice full blown long range rifle. GAP, R Brothers, Backus? Your choice. Don't get a 50, get a 300 Win mag and get reamer specs from Broz for it to shoot the 215s or something.

What would I get? A Edge +P would be very cool and slay any dragon in North America. gun)
Not bad advice. The truth however is that there's nothing in N. America you can't successfully take at long range with any of the .300's from the WM on up or for that matter a 7mm Mag or larger case.

If a guy would just spend the money to put together a really nice 1/2 MOA rig in either of those he'd have all he'll ever need to hunt in N. America.

Even in Africa most experienced hunters would laugh at the thought of using a .50 BMG as being completely completely unnecessary and overkill.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a guy going with one of the big .338's either, it's just not necessary.

I agree, spend the money on a gun! But like others here, I would recommend a full blown custom in a caliber you will use (.300 Win Mag gets another vote from me!). I too had the .50 BMG bug when I thought they were going to become illegal to own when our current president won. I got it at dealer cost and couldn't pass it up. I sold it last year. It was fun to show people, but it was massive, bulky, needed a huge case, expensive ammo, could never shoot without a crowd wanting to fondle it, etc... so I sold it. Haven't regretted it one bit! I am much happier with a custom rifle that I spec'd out. Obviously your money, your choice, but I see a theme from 4 or 5 of us on here, and that theme was we sold our 50's and haven't regretted it! Lots of awesome smiths if you want to go a custom route!

Best of luck!

Engineer,

You're right on the money Barrelnut! I live right down the road from Pierce and have been wanting to go talk with those guys for a while now. You've made some incredibly valid points.

I have been staying away from belted magnums since I started reloading. But just this week I ordered the Hornady Head space comparator that I can use with my calipers to know exactly how much I am pushing the shoulders back. I believe that should make the case life with belted magnums a non-issue?

Not bad advice. The truth however is that there's nothing in N. America you can't successfully take at long range with any of the .300's from the WM on up or for that matter a 7mm Mag or larger case.

If a guy would just spend the money to put together a really nice 1/2 MOA rig in either of those he'd have all he'll ever need to hunt in N. America.

Even in Africa most experienced hunters would laugh at the thought of using a .50 BMG as being completely completely unnecessary and overkill.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a guy going with one of the big .338's either, it's just not necessary.

I have a couple 30-06's set up for hunting, a 270, a 308, and a pretty dang accurate sporterized 303 British now too. I have some 223 rifles also. So that leaves a fairly large gap in the middle. Maybe I should be looking in the 6mm or 6.5mm range of cartridges. Thanks WildRose!

I agree, spend the money on a gun! But like others here, I would recommend a full blown custom in a caliber you will use (.300 Win Mag gets another vote from me!). I too had the .50 BMG bug when I thought they were going to become illegal to own when our current president won. I got it at dealer cost and couldn't pass it up. I sold it last year. It was fun to show people, but it was massive, bulky, needed a huge case, expensive ammo, could never shoot without a crowd wanting to fondle it, etc... so I sold it. Haven't regretted it one bit! I am much happier with a custom rifle that I spec'd out. Obviously your money, your choice, but I see a theme from 4 or 5 of us on here, and that theme was we sold our 50's and haven't regretted it! Lots of awesome smiths if you want to go a custom route!

Best of luck!

Thanks! I think that is sound advice. :)

I'm with others if you want long range hunting custom 300 win mag. Love mine.
6.5 creedmore is my next one. Hopefully this winter after I finish my n w Gary's and house. Wife gets her house because I got a garage.

You're right on the money Barrelnut! I live right down the road from Pierce and have been wanting to go talk with those guys for a while now. You've made some incredibly valid points.

I have been staying away from belted magnums since I started reloading. But just this week I ordered the Hornady Head space comparator that I can use with my calipers to know exactly how much I am pushing the shoulders back. I believe that should make the case life with belted magnums a non-issue?
No need to fear belted magnums at all. That's mostly a bunch of hype drummed up by the manufacturers and promoters of the non belted magnums.

I've gotten very good life out of 7mm Rem and 7mm STW brass for over thirty years.

Just like non belted magnums if you simply back away from maximum loads and size them properly it's a non issue.

As for Pierce they have a very good reputation so if you are in their backyard that's where I'd spend my money before I'd even consider a .50 BMG

I have a couple 30-06's set up for hunting, a 270, a 308, and a pretty dang accurate sporterized 303 British now too. I have some 223 rifles also. So that leaves a fairly large gap in the middle. Maybe I should be looking in the 6mm or 6.5mm range of cartridges. Thanks WildRose!
There's a reason the 6.5's are so popular world wide, they perform very well on game and of course due to that popularity, just like with the .30's there's a near endless array of high bc quality hunting bullets available.

Sounds to me like what you need would be either a .260 Rem or 6.5x55 AND a nice 300wm or 300Rum or for that matter a .30 Nosler or Norma.

With what you have already those two would give you great long range solutions to any long range problem and a really nice collection all the way around.

Option 3, Take one of those rifles hunting, someplace you've never been, for something you've never seen.

Bam, that's exactly what my dad does. I have nice rifles and have decide to stop buy anything cool and heading out hunting more. Only problem is time always gotta work for money than can only spend it on stuff I can use when I'm home. Broke with lots of time or lots of money no time terrible cycle. Lol

Bam, that's exactly what my dad does. I have nice rifles and have decide to stop buy anything cool and heading out hunting more. Only problem is time always gotta work for money than can only spend it on stuff I can use when I'm home. Broke with lots of time or lots of money no time terrible cycle. Lol

I tell the young guys in the group to never substitute products for opportunity. They look at my safe, and are polite enough not to laugh. I have been fortunate to do a little of both.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.