model 700, SPS stock improvement

grouser

I would like to make this SPS in 243 shoot accurately to 500 yds. is this reasonable with the factory stock, and would it be better to glass bed, add pillars or a combination of both?
I would like to remain with the 243 and this stock if possible, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

I would like to make this SPS in 243 shoot accurately to 500 yds. is this reasonable with the factory stock, and would it be better to glass bed, add pillars or a combination of both?
I would like to remain with the 243 and this stock if possible, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Have you tried shooting your rifle at that range? I had an SPS Varmint in 308 that shot sub-MOA with the factory barrel and stock.

Most gunsmiths will not bed the stock on your SPS. Bedding materials don't stick to it very well. Also, it's not a very good stock (many would says it's a piece of junk and I would generally agree). My recommendation would be to buy another stock. There are many to choose from....

Other things to consider doing with your rifle that would help with long range accuracy would be to tune the trigger and recrown the barrel. I've done this more than once....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

I have a stainless sps 30-06. I tried what you are mentioning doing and I may suggest that you will be better to buy a new stock. You can pick up a great laminate off of ebay. I got a new one for around $100.00 do a search for "Remington 700 stock". That being said I did do a successful bedding job on my sps stock. I removed a lot of material and really built it up to make it work. I bedded the entire action and about the first 2 inches of barrel. This sucks to do because it burns up a lot of bedding material. I used the Devcon plastic steel epoxy and it is simply amazing for this job. I cut down a large portion of the recoil lug area. Then I created undercuts for mechanical retention. because of the hollow design of the stock and the way that they created a plastic pillar for the front guard screw it makes it very difficult to use new pillars and this is why I recommend that you go with a stock swap. You will be most happy in the end I assure you. If your situation is that you cannot get a new stock, I would try to bed the sps and make due. The bedding job on my sps stock reduced my group size by approximately 35%. Here is a you tube series of videos where a guy beds his SPS Varmint 308. A little bit different stock design on the outer but the inner design is the same and it should help. His method is very similar to what I did to be my SPS.

YouTube - Remington 700 SPS varmint bedding therifle action part 1/9

This is the first video in a series of 9 total that takes you from start to finish for this job. Make sure that you watch them all he is quite thorough. Good Luck.

Do what i did, throw the stock away dont even try to sell it. Replace it with an Hs, Mcmillian, etc. I won a 22-250 last year and tried bedding it, what a joke. I actually let my grandson play with it.
Mike

I bedded my stock for SPS Varmint in .223 well I'm not professional but here what thing looked like
244nymb.jpg

and it shoots groups like this compare to 3/4" before bedding it...

bcrem1002.jpg

by the way I replaced it with B&C A2 Medalist Tactical and it shoots the same...

That's funny, I just went and carved my own!

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=453&image_id=4193

I had no problem getting bedding material to stick to my SPS stock but it is so flexible that it would bend up and contact the barrel when I shot it off a bipod. My bipod groups were a good 4"-6" higher than off the bags. Not acceptable for field use where you may be shooting off who knows what for support.

Last edited:
You have to bed about 3" pass recoil lug so it will support and free float its heavy barrel...

I have a 7mm mag with the factory plastic stock. It did not like bipods so I bedded the action with acraglass and epoxied in an aluminum bar in the forend, and really opened up the barrel channel. There is still a bit of flex there, but the forend does not touch the barrel. I have taken game out to 638 yds with the rifle like this.

Stu.

Model 700, SPS magazine improvement/conversion

I own a model 700 SPS bolt action Remington center fire rifle. I am wondering if the hinged floorplate can be removed and a removable magazine/clip be replaced in its stead? If anybody has any idea please let me know thank you.

I bought my 12 year old son an SPS Varmit in 308 Win, I put a HS Precision stock on it and it's first group with factory ammo shot 3/8" MOA. The factory stock is junk.

thanks for the input fellows, I did change stock to a Hogue overmolded, it had bedding pillars, stiffened it a bit and glass bedded. It shoots fine at 300 yds. , have not tried any further yet, but deer season is over and I will get back on it.

keep care

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.