Model 70 magazine limitations

In a 3.4 box I am surprised the ogive is still in the neck. If it works for you smile all day.
It doesn't. That's is why this whole discussion. I can reduce it to 0.100 jump, load a longer bullet and get great speed and most of all, great accuracy.

Surprising but believeable. I also have shot a lot of triple shocks and all the rifles I have worked with like 20 to 70 of jump except the weatherbys. In them you can,t get that close.

Surprising but believeable. I also have shot a lot of triple shocks and all the rifles I have worked with like 20 to 70 of jump except the weatherbys. In them you can,t get that close.
And I have some of those. Great shooters. Really Long jump.

BTW, a Kimber 8400 Talkeetna mag follower is 375 length and fits a Model 70...but it is a polymer and not metal.
I have swapped out mag boxes for 3.6" in many Model 70's, factory barrels shoot like factory barrels, so unless you're re-barreling to something that IS actually accurate with the bullets near the rifling, you're still gonna get factory accuracy...simply how it is.

I hope your endeavour pans out for you...many don't shoot to expectation after doing this.
Just my 2c.

Cheers.

BTW, a Kimber 8400 Talkeetna mag follower is 375 length and fits a Model 70...but it is a polymer and not metal.
I have swapped out mag boxes for 3.6" in many Model 70's, factory barrels shoot like factory barrels, so unless you're re-barreling to something that IS actually accurate with the bullets near the rifling, you're still gonna get factory accuracy...simply how it is.

I hope your endeavour pans out for you...many don't shoot to expectation after doing this.
Just my 2c.

Cheers.
Thanks Magnum. It is good to know. Does the mag box of the Kimber also fits?
I don't mind polymer. New Weatherby are polymer.

So I figured out my gun does not like lee factory crimp nor does it care for 200gr partitions. The groups are great using a 190gr accubond but I am still having magazine issues. The ends of my accubonds are getting really beat up and the first cartridge in the magazine (bullet that is in the gun the longest when shooting a string) is even getting seated a tad deeper due to recoil. I am at a col of 3.33 when doing this. This magazine is extremely short. I am running out of options with this gun. If I end up shooting 180s then it kind of destroys the point for me. I like to shoot heavy for caliber bullets in all of my guns and I like to reload to save money and optimize accuracy.

So I figured out my gun does not like lee factory crimp nor does it care for 200gr partitions. The groups are great using a 190gr accubond but I am still having magazine issues. The ends of my accubonds are getting really beat up and the first cartridge in the magazine (bullet that is in the gun the longest when shooting a string) is even getting seated a tad deeper due to recoil. I am at a col of 3.33 when doing this. This magazine is extremely short. I am running out of options with this gun. If I end up shooting 180s then it kind of destroys the point for me. I like to shoot heavy for caliber bullets in all of my guns and I like to reload to save money and optimize accuracy.
You can always make the changes discussed in this thread

Or get a different gun. I've already dumped money into this trying to get the bugs worked out. It's starting to be a confidence issue for me. I've never had this much trouble trying to get a load worked up.

Or get a different gun. I've already dumped money into this trying to get the bugs worked out. It's starting to be a confidence issue for me. I've never had this much trouble trying to get a load worked up.
That's always a choice. But it costs less than $100 to convert to to 3.6 inches mag length if you can do it your self.
different gun might be easier, make sure you get a long magazine length next time