Model 70 magazine limitations

So I've been trying to get a 200gr partition load worked out with my 300 win mag in a model 70 westerner. To the lands I am .1715 longer than my magazine will allow, which really sucks for tuning. I am already at a compressed load with 200gr portions at magazine length. I am considering changing bullets to a 190gr accubonds but they are longer yet and not sure I have enough case capacity to make this work. Anyway I can change the magazine to get a longer OAL?
Check out CDI PRECISION GUNWORKS he does custom conversions from factory floor plate or blind box mag to MAGPUL mags he might be able to help if it's only a mag clearance problem they make all mods in house they are located in Sarasota Florida he does excellent work his # 941-961-3185

I have an old model 70 from the 70s in 243 with a long action. You could get a 375 H&H magnum action. But by the time you did all that you could buy a defiant action.
Really, no offence, but I hope you're you're not trying to compare these old school worksmanship Win. 70 actions to one of those CNC'd Remy 700 conn jobs, where they just machine that carbon copied Remy 700's cylindrical tube with internal treads for yah & nothing else? The ones where one has to source all the other, mostly stamped parts, which at such ludricous prices, should be part of these actions in the first place, parts who are finished to such poor quality of standards competing with those that the 'krauts' had mfg'erd at the end of their loosing war, which parts for the most turn out to be just about incompatible, without the extra smithies handywork and this is coming from an old school gunmaker who's done plenty of these over the years! I guess its a sign of the times where most folks have lost all common sense of old school quality workmanship, snub their noses for the old stuff, continue supporting & feeding the present products junk mill and it seems to get worse every new generation!

Last edited:
Check out CDI PRECISION GUNWORKS he does custom conversions from factory floor plate or blind box mag to MAGPUL mags he might be able to help if it's only a mag clearance problem they make all mods in house they are located in Sarasota Florida he does excellent work his # 941-961-3185

CDI Precision Gunworks is no longer in business. Jeffery passed away in August of last year.

So I've been trying to get a 200gr partition load worked out with my 300 win mag in a model 70 westerner. To the lands I am .1715 longer than my magazine will allow, which really sucks for tuning. I am already at a compressed load with 200gr portions at magazine length. I am considering changing bullets to a 190gr accubonds but they are longer yet and not sure I have enough case capacity to make this work. Anyway I can change the magazine to get a longer OAL?
My little bitching: I watch guys buy a caliber and instantly start it for bullets best designed for the next larger caliber, I would save money and buy a 338.

You are all missing the point.
You have a SAAMI chamber in a rifle that has a short magazine...plain and simple.
You are looking for a unicorn if you think the ONLY way to get accuracy AND performance is by altering the COL so that some magic happens when the bullet is near the lands. Your rifle is NOT a bench rest gun, so why treat it like it is one? Does it shoot to 1MoA or better with the long jump? I know my Mosel 70 EW's in 300WM & 338WM shoot just fine with the SAAMI chambers and jump. I use Accubonds in both, due to the mag box restrictions, I prefer 180gr & 225gr bullets in each respectively.

Believe it or not, superb accuracy can be found by jumping .200" IF you do seating testing, it's not difficult.
Also, a 200gr Partition is NOT taking up as much room as a 200gr Accubond, so switching to one of those will make things worse.

Cheers.

You have a SAAMI chamber in a rifle that has a short magazine...plain and simple.
You are looking for a unicorn if you think the ONLY way to get accuracy AND performance is by altering the COL so that some magic happens when the bullet is near the lands. Your rifle is NOT a bench rest gun, so why treat it like it is one? Does it shoot to 1MoA or better with the long jump? I know my Mosel 70 EW's in 300WM & 338WM shoot just fine with the SAAMI chambers and jump. I use Accubonds in both, due to the mag box restrictions, I prefer 180gr & 225gr bullets in each respectively.

Believe it or not, superb accuracy can be found by jumping .200" IF you do seating testing, it's not difficult.
Also, a 200gr Partition is NOT taking up as much room as a 200gr Accubond, so switching to one of those will make things worse.

Cheers.
I do shoot bullets with .200 jump. Very accurate too. And I do shoot AB and PT and BT. In fact the first bullet I loaded what 180 grb BT in 300 WBY.
This particular 300 WM, at least mine, loading to mag length, 3.4" would mean close to 0.3 jump.
I can't talk for the OP, but I am trying to get the most of each rifle!!!

Cheers.
My little bitching: I watch guys buy a caliber and instantly start it for bullets best designed for the next larger caliber, I would save money and buy a 338.
Ever heard of making the most of ANYTHING? I cant speak for the OP, but I am the other person looking to load longer. I do have a few friends that have done what I am doing with great success. I am trying to do mine in way that will not compromise the firearm in case I want to put it back to factory standard as it is part of a collection. Almost all calibers of M70 Classic. Missing two.
And I do have 338 WM, 338 LM and 375 H&H.

Cheers.
It's a very simple thing to do on the M70 or at least on mine. It's an EW as well. Mine is 264WM as stated previously but rebarreled in 8 twist w/ 0.165 freebore. When the Berger 156 came out is when I did mine. I needed the room for powder to make it effective. Some factory rifles can be a pain to do this but not this model. Went from 3.4 to 3.6 mag box. I like .025 off lands but I do own several more rifles that have to jump a lot that are shooters but not like this one. It was my personnal challenge and it worked and I'm happy it did ;)

I've shot Barnes bullets since they came out...they have always shot very well for me with alot of jump! Even in a Mod 700 action, I still make them jump, last thing I want is to extract a round and leave the bullet "stuck" in the Leade, and an action full of powder, ha! Did I mention how OCD I am on reliability>.... ha

I've shot Barnes bullets since they came out...they have always shot very well for me with alot of jump! Even in a Mod 700 action, I still make them jump, last thing I want is to extract a round and leave the bullet "stuck" in the Leade, and an action full of powder, ha! Did I mention how OCD I am on reliability>.... ha
How do you feel about 0.300" Jump?

I certainly understand, especially for LR accuracy,etc. I don't think I would ever get any sleep if I really got into the LR shooting! Ha