Sako A7... magazine limitations

GetReel

So I recently bought a new Sako A7 Long Range in 300 WM. My concern is the mag, factory 150 gr ammo just barely fits.. how the hell am I gonna be able to load 190/215 gr Bergers in there???
Anyone have this rifle?
I could file a bit of mag away to gain some room but it may only get me 1/16" or so.
Thoughts?

You bought the wrong rifle for 215 Bergers. Seated were they need to be oal is around 3.7in. The other problem is I believe that is a 11 twist which is going to put you very low on the stability scale.

I didn't plan to run 215's, I bought 190's... a good friend of mine who sells guns for a living at Scheels All Sports, said he sold his same rifle to a customer who loaded 215's and it shot so good, the guy came in a week later and bought another of the exact rifle.
I guess what I'm saying is anything is possible there...
but as far as OAL, I'd have to completely agree with you. Until I have time to play with the OAL gauge... I'll never know unless someone has experience with this setup and can confirm

There isnt a lot of info out there on this rifle... is that a bad sign? IDK...
I'd like to do a full review but my expertise in long range shooting is very very new, as well as the reloading side... but it's a fun ride leading!!!

I think the main reason there is a lack of info on here is the reasons I mentioned. It does not make it a bad rifle just not the best long range option.

I didn't plan to run 215's, I bought 190's... a good friend of mine who sells guns for a living at Scheels All Sports, said he sold his same rifle to a customer who loaded 215's and it shot so good, the guy came in a week later and bought another of the exact rifle.
I guess what I'm saying is anything is possible there...
but as far as OAL, I'd have to completely agree with you. Until I have time to play with the OAL gauge... I'll never know unless someone has experience with this setup and can confirm

The 190s are no slouch, I harvested a MT bull elk with it out off my SAKO M995 in .300 WM 24" 1:11" at 931 yards, but my COAL is at 3.64".

I had to have several modifications made to my A7 in 7RM in order to mag feed the 162 eld-x. Single feed was never a problem, but I wanted to be able to make faster follow ups if needed.

Cdi offers replacement bottom metal for the a7. You could purchase that and an aics mag and have 3.7".

Are you sure of that? Last I checked that was not the case. They were limited to something around 3.5". I do not remember for sure as I gave up on my project.

Are you sure of that? Last I checked that was not the case. They were limited to something around 3.5". I do not remember for sure as I gave up on my project.
No I'm sure of that, but they do make bottom metal for aics pattern mags, would have to be looked into and cdi contacted directly

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts