300 RUM magazine limitations

I SHOOT STUFF

I really love the Barnes bullets, but I now realize I'll have to seat them very far back, even moreso than Barnes recommends, in order to have my cartriges fit the magazine.

So I suspect this will be the same deal with poly-tipped bullets. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm guessing that when your saying that you needing to seat the bullets back to fit the magazine that your meening they are making the load to long which is the bullet is seated to far out.

Well you pretty much have two options

1) order a Wyatt's extended mag box and have it installed
2) have your barrel set back and rechambered with a shorter
throated reamer.

I've seen the same problem with Weatherby chambered rifles since they are free bore chambered.

what

My savage is the same. Im about .040 off and way longer than the mag. Some have said that they reduced the OAL to fit the mag and still shot well, I have yet to try.

I SHOOT STUFF,
Here is my solution to this situation:
I have two loads for my 300 RUM.

Load No.1 0.005 into the lands. Will not fit in magazine!!
Bullet: 210 gr. Berger
Powder: Retumbo, 97 grains
Primer: Federal
Brass: Remington
Muzzle Velocity: 3163 ft/sec

Load No.2 a mile away from lands to fit magazine.
Bullet: 200 gr. Nosler Accubond
Powder: Retumbo, 97 grains
Primer: Federal
Brass: Remington
Muzzle Velocity: 3215 ft/sec

Both Loads are very accurate in my rifle and is amazing how to 1000 yards I use the same drop chart. That way I can always have ammo in the magazine and since I prefer Berger at distances 1000 yards plus I just drop one in, other wise I action the bolt and I'm ready to go.

24pi7wj.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts