338 RUM Magazine length ?

clambdin

Thinking about building a 338 RUM long range rifle on my savage 116 RUM action....I am wondering if I will be able to get the longer bullets like the 300smk and the 250gr berger OTM....to shoot .5 MOA or smaller at magazine length ? Do you all think magazine length would be a problem here...probably use a number 5 contour in a manners stock...?

I'd say it would depend upon your magazine length. Is it a 3.60"?

I rebarreled a 338 win mag Beretta Mato(which has a mag length of 3.685") to a 338 RUM and had the smith set the throat so that I could seat a 225 gr Accubond OAL at 3.600" and have a .020" jump to the lands. My main load now is a 225 gr TTSX which has a OAL of 3.580" and is .050" off.

A word of caution, if you set the lands at a shorter distance in order to reload closer to the lands, you will have a combustion chamber smaller than factory guns. This will mean that you will not be able to load at book max. If I use a charge of 98 grains RL25 (book max for 225 gr bullets) then I lose the primer pockets, so I am now loading at 94 grains. IOW, start lower and work up.

I turned my 116 338win into a 338 edge single shot using the fred sled floor plate. It is so smooth without the magazine pushing up on it or fighting to meet mag length. I know everyone wants a repeater but in these cartridges one is enough. I am going to build another and throat it even longer as a single shot. I love the savage action and the 338 rum (or 338-300rum in my case) but if you cram it short enough to work in a standard magazine you "almost" defeat the purpose. My opinion and your milage may vary.

Thanks for the opinions guys keep them coming...the magazine is in fact 3.660 ! My smith recommened using a min spec reamer on this build what are your thoughts ?

I don't have a savage but in my rem 700 I had a wyatt mag box installed and now run 300 grain bergers at 3.810. 3.6 can be tough to work with the heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.