Model 70 magazine limitations

reggart

So I've been trying to get a 200gr partition load worked out with my 300 win mag in a model 70 westerner. To the lands I am .1715 longer than my magazine will allow, which really sucks for tuning. I am already at a compressed load with 200gr portions at magazine length. I am considering changing bullets to a 190gr accubonds but they are longer yet and not sure I have enough case capacity to make this work. Anyway I can change the magazine to get a longer OAL?

You need to change out magazine box, follower, ejector and bolt stop. The parts are extremely rare. I am doing that with my rifle right now because I want to load 215 grain to 3.6" COAL.

Try Midwest Gun Works. If you know what you need, their catalog is pretty good. If you are not exactly sure, you could call.

They do not have the right Follower and Magazine box. They do have the ejector and blot stop. Already bought those and bought some other parts I will modify to fit.

talking with them now, but the Wyatt ones in my understanding need you to modify the receiver. Waiting to hear back from them. Of course easiest thing would to send it to Wyatt and have them do it. Nobody has the follower. Wyatt uses the one in the rifle already. Ideally you need the longer one.

What oal can your current box handle and what oal are you trying to get to? I feel like I'm answering you wrong....

I believe that my on wife's New Haven Model 70 .338 WM, the "magazine block" should be easily removed ....by a "Smith" or someone pretty handy with tools. And the bolt stop, can be cut-back to allow the longer bolt stroke! We considered this with her rifle, but the Barnes' like deep seating, and we've got good velocities....so for us, it wasn't a justifiable project! memtb

What oal can your current box handle and what oal are you trying to get to? I feel like I'm answering you wrong....
Right now, COAL is 3.4". I am trying to get to 3.6" at least. The magazine box from 7 mm STW/300 wby/375 H&H/or 416 works. Unfortunately, they are not available anywhere. The current model would work, I checked, but Winchester does not stock or ever stocked any for the current model.

I believe that my on wife's New Haven Model 70 .338 WM, the "magazine block" should be easily removed ....by a "Smith" or someone pretty handy with tools. And the bolt stop, can be cut-back to allow the longer bolt stroke! We considered this with her rifle, but the Barnes' like deep seating, and we've got good velocities....so for us, it wasn't a justifiable project! memtb

Yes, that is an option. Ideally you would need a different follower as well, which nobody has.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. The WBY MKV follower will work, trying to find one of those now.

Text the guys at pre64win.com I think thats it pre64.com , any how they may be able to help with magbox and follower you may need to modify the pre64 mod70's parts to make them work

Will pre-64 parts work?

www.pre64win.com

deepwater

PS. harps beat me to it while I was searching for the address.
Had another idea: how about switching to Hammer bullets? Seating depth is less of an issue. Higher cost per bullet but conversion cost is eliminated. And you use Hammer bullets.

Last edited: