Mod 70 25-06

jgh4445

Hi. My first post here. Super forum! I have a Mod 70 Classic Super Grade in 25-06 and I can't seem to find a good deer load that has accuracy that is acceptable to me. I'd like to go with Accubond 110's but it doesn't seem to like them. Maybe Sierra 117s would be better. Does anyone have a mod 70 25-06 they load for? My barrel is a 24 inch I beleive. Is there ANY load they will shoot under 1 MOA at 100? I've tried probably 20 different loads and bullet weights and powders. This is the trickiest rifle I've ever loaded for. By the way, been loading for nigh on to 40 years now.

These two loads seem to be the standard for most 25-06s.
117 Sierra 52 gr H-4831, CCI BR2, Rem case, between 10 & 20 thousands off the lands.

49 grs IMR or AA 4350, 117 Sierra, CCI 250, Rem case, between 10 & 20 Thousands off the lands.

I currently have a Shilen barreled 25-06 that does not like boat tail bullets but will shoot like a house a fire with 117 Sierra flat base Pro Hunters with the IMR or AA 4350 load. 26" SS #6 barrel Rem 700 action average 3000 fps with this load and 1/4" MOA accuracy.

You need a good bedded action with a free floating barrel if you don't have.

Hey Thanks for the reply. I'll look in my logs and see if I tried those combinations. This rifle is just plain persnickety! Wood to die for, great fit and finish...Swaro glass, trigger job, floated barrel, pillar AND glass bedded...thats the fun of reloading. I'm gonna make this one shoot!

IMR 7828 and 117SPBT Interlock Hornandy's. This load is in their book. Rifle is a Mauser action Charles Daily w/24" barrel. It would not shot anything either until I tried this load. Way better than expected velocity and it is not the top load with sub MOA accuracy, up close to the lands. Antelope at 342 and Mulie at 365 last year.

I'm running 57.5gr of RE25 in Rem brass and Fed215 primer with 110gr AB's, average velocity has it at 3285fps.
This load is very accurate in my rifle and very consistent in velocity.

gun)

Yeah I had to dust this old one off to post here.
I too struggled to find a great load for the 25-06. I had a good load using IMR 4350 that would shoot under 1" at 100 yards consistently and 1/2" on a good day. I used it as a go to load not being able to get where I wanted to be for a long time.
Then I tried Reloader 22 and ran ladder tests with several different bullets (100gr NBTs and 110gr NABs) and several diffrent rifles. Wow was I impressed. My 100 yard groups shrank below 1/2" like magic and stayed there in 2 different rifles one a 22"1-10 and the other a 24"1-10.

The 100gr Ballistic tips liked 53gr of RL22 with a winchester primer Seated .15 off the lands. my OAL was 3.212
The 110gr Accubonds were fantastic with 51.5gr of RL22 a Winchester primer seated .15 off the lands my OAL was 3.226

Thanks for resurrecting the post with some good data. I'll be trying those loads out to see if they work in my rifle. Of course I'll do the usual work up on them. For now I'm using 53.5 gr of RL19 under a 115 VLD with a COL of 3.33 as well as 49 gr of IMR 4350 under 117 Game king. Both loads shoot in the same place. Got to find a deal on a CED M2 so I can chrono the loads but I'm pretty sure I'm in the 3,000 fps ball park.

I've only worked up 2 loads for my 25-06 and they both hold sub-moa.
1st load was 52gr. of IMR 4831 behind the 85gr. Nosler BT Varmint.
2nd load is 58gr. of H1000 behind the 115gr. Berger VLD about .015 off the lands.

1st load met a mature doe at 80 yds last weekend. Entry hole about the size of a 50 cent piece with an exit hole the size of my pinky. Heart, lungs, liver shredded. Deer ran 30 yds.

2nd load met a 2.5yr old whitetail buck last weekend at 55 yds. Penciled in, straight through the heart, penciled out. Deer ran 60yds.

2nd load me a young yote last weekend at approximatley 200yds. Dropped on spot. Exit hole the size of a 50 cent piece.

The reason I posted the results was for the interesting outcomes of expansion or lack there of on the bergers at different ranges. I've read here they don't perform so well at short range...I believe it now. It won't keep me from using them, but it may be something to keep in mind.

Forgot to add...
The rifle is a plain jane savage with accutrigger, synthetic sporter stock (not bedded...yet), sporter barrel, wearing a Bushnell Legend 4-12x40 (soon to have vortex 6.5-20x50 when it shows up). Nothing fancy what-so-ever, but she'll sure shoot.

I am a 25cal. nut. I have owned a bunch of 25-06's. My wife gave me a model 70 for Christmas a few years ago, beautiful rifle but it has been the hardest one that I have owned to get it to shoot. I just changed the stock to Houge and I am starting to get some good groups now.

I am a 25cal. nut. I have owned a bunch of 25-06's. My wife gave me a model 70 for Christmas a few years ago, beautiful rifle but it has been the hardest one that I have owned to get it to shoot. I just changed the stock to Houge and I am starting to get some good groups now.

Landkiller makes a good point. Not all accuracy problems are load related. Bedding,scope ring alignment,optics quality and so on. I too have had M70s that were a little finicky. When fed their favorite brew though,they were as good as any factory rifles. My 25/06 M700 likes most anything,but the lighter pills just plain shoot:cool:. When I come upon a rifle that seems pickey,I go to the upper end of the weight range for that caliber in a flat base bullet. Proven powders for starters. In the 30/06 based rounds I like to have IMR 4350,H4831,RL19 and maybe RL22 and 7828 on hand. Remembering that I am starting with the heavier bullets in a given caliber. Start low and work up. Quite often the factory twist rates will coincide with the heavier bullets in '06 based cartridges,and I'll soon have a good load worked up. From there you can decide what bullet weight you prefer,and make educated decisions regarding propellants and charge weights. Don't change too many things at one time. I wouldn't change to a boattail of different weight,with different powder all in one crack. One variable at a time for me. Finicky rifles can be real hummers with a little time and patience.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.