25-06

Corey,
After re-reading these posts several things come to mind and might be worth taking a look at.....

1. If you started with the 50.5 gr of IMR4350 and the 100 grain Nosler Partitions that you talked about...then one thought is that early pressure signs may be due to bullets seated to close to the lands or in the lands.....Where are you at?....If you are into or near the lands you might try seating the bullets .015 or .020 deeper to see if that alleviates the pressure signs....Also if you are seated way to deep you may be compressing the powder to increase pressure but I doubt that......

2. I also had "fits" with flattened primer symptoms during the shortage a couple years back when I switched to WW primers.....I bought a brick of them when that was all that was available....The are, or at least they were, "thinner" or "softer" than the CCIs and REMs that I normally would use and every load (even cool loads)showed flattening to some degree..real scary....Of course no other symptoms like hard bolt lift or ejector marks.....All problems disappeared with the switch back to my usual primers....

3. The split neck may be just the normal result of older work hardened brass and normally is not pressure sign....The split neck may be a coincidence with the flattened primers....But the split neck may be related to a "long" chamber covered in item 4.

4. Finally, when the chamber was lengthened in your Tika, does the no-go gauge prove that it was not cut too deep?....If the chamber is "long" then the split neck and the flattened primers may very well be linked to the "long" chamber...As the firing pin strikes it drives the case forward in the chamber...The ignition rapidly raises pressure and pushes the primer back in the pocket to the bolt face...Now the primer is somewhat out of the primer pocket and starts to bulge out just as the pressure within the case and barrel force the case backwards....Thus a flattened primer with no excessive pressures within the firearm...But the pressures were excessive to the partially exposed primer.....Also the excessive case "stretch" is starting the webbed part of the head to separate from the thinner case wall.....Eventually (maybe only one or two firings) the case will fail from head separation....Especially if full length re-sized each time....If you neck size only you will get better case life and your primer flattening and neck splits may also disappear....

IMHO I would double check the chamber dims with the no-go gauge before you proceed with too much more load development.....If the chamber does turn out to be long you can seat the bullets out to the lands on your intial loads to keep the case head against your bolt face when "fire-forming" ....After that neck size only with the occasional shoulder bump and adjust your bullet seating depth as desired after that.....Who knows you might just have a new wildcat cartridge the "25-06 LONG".....

Good Luck,
Randy

Corey,
After re-reading these posts several things come to mind and might be worth taking a look at.....

1. If you started with the 50.5 gr of IMR4350 and the 100 grain Nosler Partitions that you talked about...then one thought is that early pressure signs may be due to bullets seated to close to the lands or in the lands.....Where are you at?....If you are into or near the lands you might try seating the bullets .015 or .020 deeper to see if that alleviates the pressure signs....Also if you are seated way to deep you may be compressing the powder to increase pressure but I doubt that......

2. I also had "fits" with flattened primer symptoms during the shortage a couple years back when I switched to WW primers.....I bought a brick of them when that was all that was available....The are, or at least they were, "thinner" or "softer" than the CCIs and REMs that I normally would use and every load (even cool loads)showed flattening to some degree..real scary....Of course no other symptoms like hard bolt lift or ejector marks.....All problems disappeared with the switch back to my usual primers....

3. The split neck may be just the normal result of older work hardened brass and normally is not pressure sign....The split neck may be a coincidence with the flattened primers....But the split neck may be related to a "long" chamber covered in item 4.

4. Finally, when the chamber was lengthened in your Tika, does the no-go gauge prove that it was not cut too deep?....If the chamber is "long" then the split neck and the flattened primers may very well be linked to the "long" chamber...As the firing pin strikes it drives the case forward in the chamber...The ignition rapidly raises pressure and pushes the primer back in the pocket to the bolt face...Now the primer is somewhat out of the primer pocket and starts to bulge out just as the pressure within the case and barrel force the case backwards....Thus a flattened primer with no excessive pressures within the firearm...But the pressures were excessive to the partially exposed primer.....Also the excessive case "stretch" is starting the webbed part of the head to separate from the thinner case wall.....Eventually (maybe only one or two firings) the case will fail from head separation....Especially if full length re-sized each time....If you neck size only you will get better case life and your primer flattening and neck splits may also disappear....

IMHO I would double check the chamber dims with the no-go gauge before you proceed with too much more load development.....If the chamber does turn out to be long you can seat the bullets out to the lands on your intial loads to keep the case head against your bolt face when "fire-forming" ....After that neck size only with the occasional shoulder bump and adjust your bullet seating depth as desired after that.....Who knows you might just have a new wildcat cartridge the "25-06 LONG".....

Good Luck,
Randy

Thanks Randy, I seated the bullets .010 off the lands, I am going to give it .020 on my next loads. I was thinking that may be an issue also. I am using Fed 210 primers and the brass is once fired winchester brass. Thats why I'm baffled on the split neck. Honestly I havent checked chamber dimension after it was cut for my dummy round I made. My smith told me to load exactly to my dummy round for my load developement and I will be .010 off the lands. I took the time to measure each load to exact same measurement to ogive with comperator for no variances. I am going to check seating depth with my Hornady LNL to varify depth when I get home. Corey

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.