Mk5hd vs NXS

I have recently had a NXS 2.5-10x42 mil-r and A leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x42 tremor 3. Out of the two optics I prefer the Mark 5. I like the Mark 5 3-18 a lot. If they had a reticle like the mil-c I would have the Mark 5 still. The Tremor 3 is not my thing and I don't particularly care for the TMR. My hunting buddy runs Nightforce on his competition rifles. I don't see a huge advantage between the ATACR over the mark 5 except for the reticle selection. The same guy runs 2 Bushnell LRTS scopes on his hunting rifles, as do I. They are exceptionally good scopes that have been reliable and track great with good glass especially in low light in our experience. My LRTS made its way back to replace the NXS and Mark 5 on my coyote rifle. I will probably go with an ATACR or Mark 5 on my 6.5 hunting rifle next year if I can find a good deal. Though I am tempted to just buy another LRTS and save some $$.

Scopes are a very personal thing in my experience. You may find you prefer one or the other. Reticle selection has become the deciding factor for me on scopes these days. There is a lot of brand loyalty for guys who spend $2K plus on scopes. I think both the Nightforce and Leupold are excellent choices. Pick the one that you get the warm fuzzies about and move forward.

I also have a Razor AMG and that is my favorite scope because I like the reticle the best.

Maybe I not looking at the correct model but what I see is the NX8 line are 30mm main tubes whereas the Mark5 are 35mm.

One of the most appreciated improvements when going from "older" scopes (1" and 30mm main tubes ) to the latest scopes (34mm and 35mm) is the improvement in field of view. Even when zoomed.

I have reset all my zeros back to 100 as with the 34 tubes (VX6) and 35mm main tube (MK5) you have two and three complete revolutions of dial which does not cause any limitations on the top end.

I am not an expert like many of you, but having a larger main tube is a great improvement from my standpoint.

jjw
ND

My .02's. I've owned two VX-6hd's (along with several other Leupold's and a few NF's) and ended up selling both because I had a problem with one not holding zero. I'm not sure if the Mark 5's have the same internals as the VX-6hd's, but if they do I would be wary. I think Leupold is going in the right direction, but they have to prove to me they can be as/more reliable as NF before I will buy another one.

I just ordered two NX8's, because the issue I had on my 3-18 VX-6hd. I personally feel like the extra 2 ounces I'll have to carry (NX8 2.5-20 vs Mark 5 3-18) is going to be worth the confidence that I'll have in knowing my rifle with stay on a true zero. I understand NF sells less scopes than Leupold, but show me the last thread of several people bashing NF for their reliability!

My .02's. I've owned two VX-6hd's (along with several other Leupold's and a few NF's) and ended up selling both because I had a problem with one not holding zero. I'm not sure if the Mark 5's have the same internals as the VX-6hd's, but if they do I would be wary. I think Leupold is going in the right direction, but they have to prove to me they can be as/more reliable as NF before I will buy another one.

I just ordered two NX8's, because the issue I had on my 3-18 VX-6hd. I personally feel like the extra 2 ounces I'll have to carry (NX8 2.5-20 vs Mark 5 3-18) is going to be worth the confidence that I'll have in knowing my rifle with stay on a true zero. I understand NF sells less scopes than Leupold, but show me the last thread of several people bashing NF for their reliability!

I have 2 ATACR's, both 5-25's and 3 MK5HD's in 5-25 and picked up my first NX8 4-32 3 weeks ago. I have lots of opinions on each. Pros and cons of each. I haven't spent enough time with the NX8 (need a full hunting season to really feel comfortable stating my opinion on a scope) but I'll say the only scope I've had to send in was one of the ATACR's for a new elevation turret.

I'll say the ATACR has the best glass....but the Mark 5HD is very very close 2nd. The 5-25 at least. Usually shorter (say the 3-18 Mark5 not quite as good optically as the 5-25) just like the 2.5-20 NX8 compared to the 4-32 NX8. The 2.5-20 is some of the worst glass I've ever looked through. Ever. The 4-32 is much better, but not near the Mark 5HD. Just my .02

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.