Mk5hd vs NXS

Wrangler13

I am looking for a lightweight reliable scope for dialing. Have it narrowed down to the leupold mk5 hd 3.5-18x44 and the Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42. Kind of leaning toward the nxs but would like opinions from people that have owned/used both.

Thanks

I have been using a MK5 3.6-18 for a little while now and have a 5.5-22 NXS. The jury is still out on how the Leupold will hold up. My NXS is the only scope I've had for a long period of time that I haven't had an issue with and that I trust. Wish it were lighter, but that might defeat some of that. The Leupold has noticeably better glass and is noticeably smaller & lighter. It is also FFP, if you are into that.

I have 2 Mark 5's 3.6-18x44, but have only had them for a few months. I've owned NXS's, but only in the 5.5-22x50 version.

The only two things I can think of that I don't like better on the Mark 5's is that for some reason Leupold has trouble getting the little click lines to align perfectly with the zero line. It's a small thing, but it does bug me. The other thing I don't like is that the zero mark for the windage is at about 10 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock on the windage dial. In guess they did this to make it more visible while in the shooting position, but it's weird to me and I don't like it. Not a big deal though.

Everything else on the Mark 5 is better in my opinion. The glass is better. The reticle is better. The size is better (though I'm comparing it to the 5.5-22x50). The upper end magnification is way better (I couldn't get by with only 10x). The dials, zero stop, rotation indicator are all better on the Mark 5. I found the eye box and eye relief to be be a little better on the Mark 5. Magnification selection mechanism is smoother and easier to turn on the Mark 5 (especially in the cold). I like the ranges marked on the focus knob on the Mark 5 rather than just the lines that are on the NXS. Of course the NF's are all illuminated, and my Mark 5 is not. I literally never use illumination, so it's a plus to not have to pay for it on the Mark 5 if you don't want it.

In terms of durability and longevity I can't say because I haven't had the Mark 5's very long. They've been perfect so far. Pretty hard to beat a NF in this category.

Overall I've been impressed with the Mark 5's. Really nice LR hunting scope because of the size/weight, magnification range, and overall features.

Jamie, that is a pretty strong endorsement for a mk5. I also am not interested in the illumination. I guess time will tell if the mk5 dials are reliable.

I've wned prob 8 NXS. Still have a few. Currently own 2 Mark 5HD. In my honesty opinion, there's no comparison. Mark 5 hands down. Glass is substantially better in all aspects. Turrets feel and weight are other benefits. The Mark 5HD would be more comparable to the ATACR. It's a toss up for me when out shooting which I prefer. The ATACR or the HD5.

I've wned prob 8 NXS. Still have a few. Currently own 2 Mark 5HD. In my honesty opinion, there's no comparison. Mark 5 hands down. Glass is substantially better in all aspects. Turrets feel and weight are other benefits. The Mark 5HD would be more comparable to the ATACR. It's a toss up for me when out shooting which I prefer. The ATACR or the HD5.
Wow, that's the strongest endorsement I've yet seen.
Honestly I was thinking somewhere between shv and nxs but atacr? That's really saying something

Glass wise the nxs and shv are the same. The new nx8 has better glass then the nxs but not quit atacr.

If memory serves me, both the NX8 and Mark 5HD are at 28oz in same configuration. (Close).

The NX8 uses internal glass that is ED or the same as the ATACR. The rest of the glass on the NX8 is the same as the NXS. All other internal parts on the NX8 are identical to the ATACR. Better build than the NXS. Glass is so so though. Has real distortion issues with the NX8. And horrible barreling. The Mark five HD is without question on par or very near to The ATACR

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.