Mixing Different Lots Same Powder

Remmy700

LRH Team Member
I bought a big plastic tote and I will wipe it out with dryer sheet and just dump all my powders in it and mix them very good and then place back in 8 lb jugs. I typically start adding 1 lb jugs when I get down to half a jug or so.

dxlbaile

Mixing has worked well for me.. As stated above just use a large plastic container that you can wipe down with a dryer sheet and make your own lot of powder. Decrease a few grains and work it back up.. Good luck and happy shooting.

hnts4fun

Many thanks! Heading to the dollar store for a large plastic container and I will grab dryer sheets and a wooden spoon along the way. :)

Impulsive

Many thanks! Heading to the dollar store for a large plastic container and I will grab dryer sheets and a wooden spoon along the way. :)
The powder manufactures ship their powder in non static containers.

Do you not think the ride from here to there, through different climate zones, in a big truck, would be more, or less violent as compared to you shanking it around in a like container?
I have mixed lots of odds and ends of the same powder. I use the container it came in, and if you have an empty 4 or 8 pounder the mixing is very efficient.
Working a load back up after the mixing is not a big deal usually.

TBell

If you are very concerned I would load 4-5 rounds from each lot and round robin and if they look the same mix away

I did that with my H1000 powder mixed 5 #1 cans then put them back in the original cans, then marked each with a mixed note.

Worked fine now they are all the same lot.

Remmy700

LRH Team Member
The powder manufactures ship their powder in non static containers.

Do you not think the ride from here to there, through different climate zones, in a big truck, would be more, or less violent as compared to you shanking it around in a like container?
I have mixed lots of odds and ends of the same powder. I use the container it came in, and if you have an empty 4 or 8 pounder the mixing is very efficient.
Working a load back up after the mixing is not a big deal usually.
Yeah my clothes don’t have static when they go in the dryer but when I get them out! Oh snap static exist. Same as when u dump powder in a powder thrower and u see them sticking to the sides.

Michael Smith

I called Hodgon and ask them about that and he said it is not advisable. I had two bottles of 8208 but different lot #'s. He said that powders degrade at different rates, lot #'s, and even in the same lot #. After it has been used and exposed will also degrade at different rates. In summation he agreed that it is not a good idea. He said they try to keep it as consistent possible but there are still variations although slight.

Old Blue Dawg

What seems to have been missed is that RL 33 is used in large amounts in large cartridges. I use it in my 338 RUM 1000 yard steel banger. When you use 90-100 gr of anything, lot #s really don't mean much. Not a bit like loading Lil Gun in a 22 Hornet !

338rum.JPG

Impulsive

I called Hodgon and ask them about that and he said it is not advisable. I had two bottles of 8208 but different lot #'s. He said that powders degrade at different rates, lot #'s, and even in the same lot #. After it has been used and exposed will also degrade at different rates. In summation he agreed that it is not a good idea. He said they try to keep it as consistent possible but there are still variations although slight.
What would you except them to say?

Last edited:

alf

Back in the early 90's when I started 1K BR, I settled on H-4831-SC for my 6.5-284's, and ordered six 8 pounders, & asked for all the same lot if possible. Ended up with 3 jugs of one lot, 2 jugs of another, and a lonely jug of it's own lot.

I cleaned out two big totes and dumped all six together, then proceeded to pouring them back and forth between totes like the mad scientist till I figured they were mixed well enough.

I still have a jug & a half left, & it shoots just fine. I never hesitate to mix like powders.

Michael Smith

What would you except them to say?
The rest of the conversation was a more in depth discussion on consistency on the loads worked up with the mix rather than keeping them separated. He wasn't blowing smoke. Do what you want, after that conversation I'm not mixing them not worth it for a few pennies.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce