Mistake: Shot a 308 Cartridge Today in my 06

A friend asked to shoot up some 30-06 ammo so he could reload a batch of identical loads. He sent his pre-64 model 70 so I could sight it in at the same time. I shot several rounds and had one round that the bolt was hard to close on. I extracted the round and it was an 8mm Mauser! He did not know how he acquired that round because he did not have an 8mm. Ever since then, I always wondered would have happened if I had pulled the trigger.

If you stick a 280 AI into a 7 mag, it will go boom too. Very little consequences, as I now know, just one very ruined 280 AI case. But this whole thread underscores just how dangerous a firearm can be. We get really "used" to what we are doing. Till we have a human moment and screw up......

There was a long thread - I can't remember ifit was this site or another one I frequent - all about firing 300 BLK through a 223 barrel. It will extrude that bullet for you, but it sure creates a big problem on the action end.

I appreciate this post very much. Thank you.

I have a second browser open now searching for some true shooting glasses.
In my career I was the drill sergeant of eye protection when guys were weed whacking for me and I have stopped so many guys on home lawns without eye protection it is crazy. Now I have to police myself better.

This thread is the equivalent of
Today I was texting and driving and ran into the car stopping in front of me
Don't do that
And how many of us still do that cause "it won't happen to me" syndrome! A real world reminder is not a bad thing. No different than wearing safety glasses. We ALL know we should but how many actually wear them? A Safety reminder may just "trigger" a change in behavior and save someone tons of grief.

One rifle , One ammo, One powder, One primer, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety harness, safety line to stand have been standard safety protocols forever but we still seem to take chances when we shouldn't. A reminder can be life changing so I don't mind them at all.

I appreciate this post very much. Thank you.

I have a second browser open now searching for some true shooting glasses.
In my career I was the drill sergeant of eye protection when guys were weed whacking for me and I have stopped so many guys on home lawns without eye protection it is crazy. Now I have to police myself better.
Safe browsing says one open at a time. 😁 I an all for reasonable safety precautions but this thread has gotten more than a little preachy. Biggest issue, is keeping your head in the game. You can manage a lot of variables simultaneously if you are paying attention. A lot of my work involved things with a lot of parts moving at the same time, that would have been very dangerous if you messed up. Paying real close attention was always the solution.

I've screwed up having multiple powders on the bench once .... I haven't shot wrong round yet thank God and hope I don't. I think I've read about this before and learned from it. I only have one rifle and ammo on shooting bench.

Reality is human is to err. All the folks that chide us for our oversight also fail to recognize they may be next. Its not practical in hot parts of the world to shoot only one gun, for accuracy at least, without some down time.

BUT this thread should be yet another message to shooters with more than one weapon at the range. Put away not only your gun when cooling (or whatever), but the cartridges as well.

I loaded some 130 grain Barnes TTSX 130s in 308 and 30 06. I have great loads for both so brought my Tikka T3 308 and Tikka T3x 30-06 to the range today with my ammo boxes. I had both ammo boxes on the bench and was alternating between the 308 and 06 shooting the Barnes.

On the 4th shot on my 06, something went way wrong. My face was sprayed with powder fouling, the bottom of my detachable magazine was on the ground and I couldn't extract the cartridge. When I finally got the bolt open, my extractor was gone. I found the extractor on the ground but my plunger is missing so I had to order new parts.

My chamber was filthy and the primer had blown out of the case. I figured I'd had a case separation or wrong charge so I went back to shooting. I wasn't able to extract the case until I got home.

When I got home I knocked the case out with a ramrod. Mystery solved! It was a 308 case blown open to a straight walled case.

Lesson learned, make dang sure if you are shooting the same bullet out of two different rifles, to keep ammo separated.

Here is the case. I'm assuming the only damage was the extractor. When I get it fixed I'll head back to the range.
I'm glad you're ok. 🙏🙏🙏

Cleaned chamber, bore, bolt and replaced extractor. 5 shot group 100 yards 30-06 180 SST 55 grains H4350.

Attachments

• 981F3039-FE73-4E51-A7C2-5207AED48B8E.jpeg
    981F3039-FE73-4E51-A7C2-5207AED48B8E.jpeg
    850.9 KB · Views: 51
It's been my understanding that one of the design criteria for 7.62x51 was it had to chamber and fire in the M1 Garand in case a soldier accidentally loaded it up. Held in place by the extractor and bullet sent out barrel withou major catastrophe. Maybe it's a myth, not sure. I did it for sh*ts and giggles in a savage 30-06 with no issue. Didn't hurt extractor, bolt, magazine. I did clamp it in a rest and pull the trigger with a string though lol. Even extracted fine with a perfectly fireformed 30-06 body. Obviously I don't advise it though…