Mistake: Shot a 308 Cartridge Today in my 06

I was at range earlier this year and couple guys had 7-8 rifles standing up against bench and prob 10 boxes of different ammo on bench. I strongly suggested removing ammo except for rifle being shot. They laughed. I left thinking "bombs away!". Never heard if anything happened but thus was recipe for disaster!

Learned that lesson years ago. I shot a .270 in a 7 mag. Blew powder into my face, and bounced off my shooting glasses. It didn't hurt my Rem 700.

I was at the range a couple of years ago and a guy with a new 270 couldn't get his shells to chamber. He bought a case of 270 WSM, but they just wouldn't chamber.

I turned 270 brass into 30-06 brass several years ago. Less dramatic that what you describe obviously but accuracy was crap🤔. Took me two shots of nearly no recoil and keyhole impacts to sink into my head what was going on.
Also the first and last time I go to what I can only describe as a bunker style range. This was near Augusta GA. The concussion and noise had my head rattled from the time I showed up and after my incident I just packed up my stuff.

I love it when someone does something incredibly stupid then feels compelled to warn others!
Yes it was and he owned it. Its a reminder that EVEN someone experienced can step in cow patties. @General RE LEE felt compelled to share so his "friends" on LRH get a heads up to maintain vigilance while at the range. No one is immune from making a mistake is the basic message.

="Muddyboots, post: 2604247, member: 63925"]
Yes it was and he owned it. Its a reminder that EVEN someone experienced can step in cow patties. @General RE LEE felt compelled to share so his "friends" on LRH get a heads up to maintain vigilance while at the range. No one is immune from making a mistake is the basic message.
[/QUOTE]
Amen brother. I've made plenty. Not just in reloading... 🤔 Like just know replying instead of qouting 🙄

I loaded some 130 grain Barnes TTSX 130s in 308 and 30 06. I have great loads for both so brought my Tikka T3 308 and Tikka T3x 30-06 to the range today with my ammo boxes. I had both ammo boxes on the bench and was alternating between the 308 and 06 shooting the Barnes.

On the 4th shot on my 06, something went way wrong. My face was sprayed with powder fouling, the bottom of my detachable magazine was on the ground and I couldn't extract the cartridge. When I finally got the bolt open, my extractor was gone. I found the extractor on the ground but my plunger is missing so I had to order new parts.

My chamber was filthy and the primer had blown out of the case. I figured I'd had a case separation or wrong charge so I went back to shooting. I wasn't able to extract the case until I got home.

When I got home I knocked the case out with a ramrod. Mystery solved! It was a 308 case blown open to a straight walled case.

Lesson learned, make dang sure if you are shooting the same bullet out of two different rifles, to keep ammo separated.

Here is the case. I'm assuming the only damage was the extractor. When I get it fixed I'll head back to the range.
Couple of years ago I was cleaning range and found these weird cases laying on ground. Someone earlier had done same thing. Fired 308s in 06. Needless to say I found 10 rounds and wondered if rifle was still in 1 piece! Gotta pay attention. Safety first.