Misery loves company

Hello and many thanks to everyone who responded to this post. I have received a boat load of well wishes and good information. I have had my right knee replaced and it appears to be time for the left knee to step up an volunteer. Both of my knees have been subjected to scoping, steroid injection, the cartilage shots that or where I was told it was like chicken cartilage ???
I tried to get it done in 2018 but kept getting infections to close to surgery dates and they were postponed. Then in March of 2020 when I was ready, along came covid. So trying again.
Doctors appointments are so far out,tried Mayo Clinic and nothing till sometime in January for initial visit, another was mid-December, finally the surgeon started taking appointments on Saturdays, so I will be seen Saturday November 21.
With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, who knows what the remaining schedule will look like. But hey, been there, done that, will do it again.
Be safe, be well, tommytrees 🇺🇸 🦌 🐻🌳:)

Hope you have a speedy recovery mate I'm at 26 years and had back surgery afew months ago I'm missing out on all my hunting can't even hike because a bad step that causes a fall will mess my discs back up hell I can't even shoot guns yet until 6 months after the recovery

Hope you have a speedy recovery mate I'm at 26 years and had back surgery afew months ago I'm missing out on all my hunting can't even hike because a bad step that causes a fall will mess my discs back up hell I can't even shoot guns yet until 6 months after the recovery
Hang in there, you'll get back. 6 months is a short time in life, and you have a great many more years to come. Don't push the back, and do what the doctor say.

Good morning to all: In hope of getting an earlier appointment to see the surgeon I called their appointment desk almost daily and finally a cancellation date was available and I jumped on it. I saw the surgeon, who agreed my knee was ready and that the earliest date likely was in January. While checking out and looking for exact date , I was told there is a new cancellation for November 15. So now I start with the pre-op visits to primary, cardio and pulmonary doctors and of course the required other things, EKG etc. etc. I start tomorrow. With successful surgery and PT (DOING MY PART) I will be in good shape to celebrate Christmas and our 8th wedding anniversary on the 30th. I just made the phone calls. I know there is more to it than that.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Be safe, be well

I had my operation in the afternoon. In the morning I was up and walking with help. When home that afternoon. P.T. you'll need to pay attention too, and do. It will hurt, but do it. Wish you the best!!

Last edited:
Hello, I have been very busy with trying to be helpful to my wife preparing for Christmas, Doctor visit's and prep for knee replacement on December 15.

I appreciated the response to this thread and want to wish all and your families, a very merry and safe Holy Season regardless of your belief's.
Be safe, be well, be thankful.
Tommy and Susan

Good luck with it! I'm sure glad I did mine. Another successful hunting season (even though I had to go easy because of my new shoulder).

Went hunting with my brother and sister on public land in Iowa today. Had to use a straight wall cartridge, recently got an XPR in 350 legend.

Went out at 6:30 AM, and at 6:50 I decided to take a leak before stuff got moving. Pants down, I hear something. I finish peeing and I turn and there's a huge group of deer about 100 yards from me. I slowly pick up my gun (pants still unbuttoned and unzipped, belt undone) and aim at them, picking my target, a 10 point buck.

As you can imagine, I was quite surprised and unprepared for the shot. I missed my first shot completely. But, none of the deer even moved! It was like I wasn't even there. I took my time with my second shot, they started to run away. They went another 50-75 yards (so about 175-200 yard shot) and stopped to look my way again. I got a good shot and hit the chest of the buck I wanted. He was facing me at a slight angle off of me, went in his front chest and came out his side. He ran maybe 30-40 yards and dropped.

he might've caught me with my pants down but I still left with him!

Waited a while, and started pushing towards my brother and sister, and spooked up a couple more deer, and they each got one as well. Between the 4 of us (my brothers kid was also with us and got one layer) we got 4 bucks in the first 4 hours of Iowa deer season. The most successful hunt we have ever had. We got a spike buck (the one with the head turned back weird in the second pic) a 4 point, a 7 point, and a 10 point.

5F18EF28-A546-498B-BBEF-0AA33293E83A.jpeg

01D3E857-0DAA-4187-BAAC-F84A04B722CC.jpeg

Went hunting with my brother and sister on public land in Iowa today. Had to use a straight wall cartridge, recently got an XPR in 350 legend.

Went out at 6:30 AM, and at 6:50 I decided to take a leak before stuff got moving. Pants down, I hear something. I finish peeing and I turn and there's a huge group of deer about 100 yards from me. I slowly pick up my gun (pants still unbuttoned and unzipped, belt undone) and aim at them, picking my target, a 10 point buck.

As you can imagine, I was quite surprised and unprepared for the shot. I missed my first shot completely. But, none of the deer even moved! It was like I wasn't even there. I took my time with my second shot, they started to run away. They went another 50-75 yards (so about 175-200 yard shot) and stopped to look my way again. I got a good shot and hit the chest of the buck I wanted. He was facing me at a slight angle off of me, went in his front chest and came out his side. He ran maybe 30-40 yards and dropped.

he might've caught me with my pants down but I still left with him!

Waited a while, and started pushing towards my brother and sister, and spooked up a couple more deer, and they each got one as well. Between the 4 of us (my brothers kid was also with us and got one layer) we got 4 bucks in the first 4 hours of Iowa deer season. The most successful hunt we have ever had. We got a spike buck (the one with the head turned back weird in the second pic) a 4 point, a 7 point, and a 10 point.

View attachment 230518
View attachment 230519

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.