Minute of anus/178 a-max

elkaholic

I am posting this to show the effectiveness of the A-Max bullet for hunting application. Yes, they expand rapidly on impact which makes them lethal at long range, and some say, not so good up close. I have found that while they are explosive the cup and usually a well expanded piece of lead is left at the base. This deer was no exception. The bullet entered exactly one inch to right of a perfect TEXAS BULLSEYE! He was running straight away at 125 yards when my cousin lowered the boom on him. He was shot with a 178 A-Max fired from my 20" barrel model 700 Mt. Rifle. The pelvis and both hip bones were destroyed and the bullet penetrated approx. 16" into the back strap. I told Todd that he just shot "minute of anus" and his vertical was perfect but he might want to work on his windage a little:D 1116151419.jpg

I am posting this to show the effectiveness of the A-Max bullet for hunting application. Yes, they expand rapidly on impact which makes them lethal at long range, and some say, not so good up close. I have found that while they are explosive the cup and usually a well expanded piece of lead is left at the base. This deer was no exception. The bullet entered exactly one inch to right of a perfect TEXAS BULLSEYE! He was running straight away at 125 yards when my cousin lowered the boom on him. He was shot with a 178 A-Max fired from my 20" barrel model 700 Mt. Rifle. The pelvis and both hip bones were destroyed and the bullet penetrated approx. 16" into the back strap. I told Todd that he just shot "minute of anus" and his vertical was perfect but he might want to work on his windage a little:DView attachment 54131

OOPS! here is the bullet pic1123151749.jpg

Yup. I have killed 2 elk and 2 buck mule deer with the AMAX, only 1 was over 200 yards. And all of them, even the 418 yard shot, were complete pass throughs. My small bull elk this year was broadside at 180 yards and I hit him square in the shoulder. Broke him down and passed through. My cow year before last was 80 yards broadside, and was hit top of the heart in the shoulder, DRT.

BUT

I am using a 308 shooting a 168 at 2675. If this bullet was in a 300 RUM going 3300...I would seriously rethink using it. After doing a lot of research, talking to other hunters using this bullet, I have found that an AMAX will perform very well and consistently, if impact velocity is below about 2800fps. You start getting over that, and penetration decreases and fragmentation increases. This can be a wonderful hunting bullet....but know its limitations and where it excels, and use it accordingly

4 of my animals killed by an AMAX. And Ill post a link of what an AMAX does to a deer at a little over 400 yards. The video was my cousins deer this year, with my 308 and the 168 AMAX. The 4 point with its head tucked under was shot while running away, That was with my dads 6.5x55 with a 140 amax through the neck. Not much of a ballistic experiment, but it was dead mid hop and that's how it landed...very DRT ha ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGhz1NTvTE

Attachments

• 2013 elk.jpg
    2013 elk.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 2013 deer.jpg
    2013 deer.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 115
  • 2014 deer.jpg
    2014 deer.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2015 elk.jpg
    2015 elk.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 118
Well being it's probably rather difficult to see the anus of a whitetail buck hauling anus away from you in the snow, I'd call that a great shot. Kudos to all involved.

Well being it's probably rather difficult to see the anus of a whitetail buck hauling anus away from you in the snow, I'd call that a great shot. Kudos to all involved.

Ya, we got a pretty good laugh over that one! Honestly, you had to cut NO bones to remove both back legs. It looked like he tried to pass a hand grenade:D

Yup. I have killed 2 elk and 2 buck mule deer with the AMAX, only 1 was over 200 yards. And all of them, even the 418 yard shot, were complete pass throughs. My small bull elk this year was broadside at 180 yards and I hit him square in the shoulder. Broke him down and passed through. My cow year before last was 80 yards broadside, and was hit top of the heart in the shoulder, DRT.

BUT

I am using a 308 shooting a 168 at 2675. If this bullet was in a 300 RUM going 3300...I would seriously rethink using it. After doing a lot of research, talking to other hunters using this bullet, I have found that an AMAX will perform very well and consistently, if impact velocity is below about 2800fps. You start getting over that, and penetration decreases and fragmentation increases. This can be a wonderful hunting bullet....but know its limitations and where it excels, and use it accordingly

Well stated on the velocity issue! I test bullets all the time including my own, and they all have a hi and lo threshold for expansion. This is why the A-Max works well with the magnums at long range. It will expand consistently. Up close, you just watch a little closer where you aim. What I like about them is, even though they open VERY quickly and do a lot of entry damage, they still keep enough bullet together to exit or end up under the hide with a portion as shown in my pic. For the lower velocity rifles like my short barreled ''06, they are near perfect My mv is about 2700'........Rich

I've had great luck with the 208 and 285 A Max. I just updated my 208 post with my results this year. Hard to argue with success. Thats a great deer to boot Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.