178 gr. ELD-X out of a 300 weatherby

I am having amazing results with the 208 eld-m loaded around 3000 fps. I just had a devil of a time trying to get bergers to shoot well but my hornady loads were established within the 9 shots. Not to mention they are almost 1/2 the cost!

Thanks for the replies,

Somebody left a comment about bergers with a bunch of links and now I can't find it, was it deleted?

Thanks!

I have a load for the 215 in my factory mag Ruger m77 right at 3.335" to fit as a repeater. It gets me 2686 fps. The same rifle loaded long gets me 2826 fps.

Running the numbers it is at 800 yds vs 900 yds when it hits 1800 fps.
If you are going to shoot lightweight, I would shoot the monos, otherwise I think it is a waste for the magnums.

Run the heavies at mag length and get some!!!

Hello everyone,

Now that I've got my scope and Rifle situation figured out, I'm looking to start reloading for my 300 Weatherby. I've been getting some lessons in this, so with help from more experienced people that have been teaching me I should be ready.

I really want to shoot the Hornady ELD-X, due to its high bc. But also because I like to shoot a lot and don't want to spend a ton on bullets. If I went with bergers I'd be in almost $1 a shot just with the bullet. I really just want to have one load to do it all, for everything from targets to deer, elk and antelope. This is due to the fact I really like Kenton turrets and their simplicity, so I can't change loads all the time, once I find one that shoots very well I will likely stock up on bullets for a long time.

I looked at the numbers on weatherbys site and it looks like the 180 is the best of both worlds as far as trajectory and energy go. That's why I think the 178 will be a good starting place. Would the 200gr be better?

I will be shooting these out of a 24" Vanguard S2. I have high hopes for an elk trip in the next few years and I want to make sure this bullets is tough enough to not blow up or fragment if I were to get a close shot, but I also want to be able to have minimal meat damage on things like deer. I practice out to 400 now weekly, but I would like to feel comfortable on game out to 600.

I have taken an antelope with 150 grain nosler bt out of this Rifle, and I was pleasantly surprised with the way it performed with minimal meat damage, but I know this isn't a bullet for elk. This round was handloaded and only coming out at about 3150fps.

So why is it that the eldx bullets are only $35 for 100, while things like accubonds are $35 for 50, roughly.

I will be using Norma brass and federal 215m primers. Any other load info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all of the great advice I've been given so far, looking forward to more!
hey partner my weatherby shoots half inch groups at 100 yards with the 178 gr eld x bullets using h4831 at 72 grains if i cant kill elk with this its not the bullet or gun its me and bullet placement good luck